Pressure increase in a closed system

by DarkF1ame
Tags: closed system, expansion, hydrostatic force, increase, pressure
DarkF1ame
Oct17-13, 09:22 AM
P: 1
Hello All,

I work in the refrigeration industry, and I'm trying to put a hard number on a hypothetical situation. The situation is a lapse in SOP and liquid gets trapped in a line. For this hypothetical situation the line is 100% full. What would the increase in pressure be per degree?

I know that the density (g/cm3) goes down as temperature is increased. So with a fixed mass, the cm3 number must go up to lower the overall density, but since the scenario is 100% full, my brain tells me that energy is getting transmitted into the pipe walls as pressure since it can't physically expand any more. What I can't figure out is how to enumerate that pressure gain.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For this example, the trapped liquid in the pipe is water.

Thanks,

Scott
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
Chestermiller
Oct17-13, 09:31 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 4,447
Quote Quote by DarkF1ame View Post
Hello All,

I work in the refrigeration industry, and I'm trying to put a hard number on a hypothetical situation. The situation is a lapse in SOP and liquid gets trapped in a line. For this hypothetical situation the line is 100% full. What would the increase in pressure be per degree?

I know that the density (g/cm3) goes down as temperature is increased. So with a fixed mass, the cm3 number must go up to lower the overall density, but since the scenario is 100% full, my brain tells me that energy is getting transmitted into the pipe walls as pressure since it can't physically expand any more. What I can't figure out is how to enumerate that pressure gain.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For this example, the trapped liquid in the pipe is water.

Thanks,

Scott
If the pipe is rigid so that it doesn't expand, then first you calculate how much the water would expand if it were not constrained (volumetric strain). This is determined by its coefficient of thermal volume expansion. Then you calculate how much pressure would be required to remove that same amount of volumetric strain. This would be determined by the bulk modulus of the fluid.

Chet

Register to reply