Caster angle in bikes / cars - Why do we need?

In summary, the purpose of having a caster angle or "trail" in a bicycle is to improve stability. This angle helps prevent the rider from going over the handlebars when braking. While there is some debate about the necessity of caster angles, it is generally accepted that they contribute to the overall stability of the bicycle. The Wikipedia article on bicycle and motorcycle dynamics offers a detailed analysis of this topic and provides references to other relevant articles.
k.udhay
Hi,

What is the purpose of having a caster angle / "trainling" in a bicycle or bike? Many websites say it is for stability. But how does this angle improve the stability? What if I have my front fork perperndicular to the ground? What and why are the consequences occur?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Then you have a greater chance of going over the handlebars when braking.

Bicycle physics is very hard stuff. Wikipedia has an artile on it that may help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_and_motorcycle_dynamics

People used to believe that the gyroscopic motion of the spinning wheels contributed to its stability but that was found to be not correct. More recently someone discovered that caster angles aren't necessary either. The wiki page describes some of the history of bicycle physics analysis with references to other articles.

Thanks, Jedishrfu. It's pretty hard to believe that "More recently someone discovered that caster angles aren't necessary either"...
I think it is some real interesting stuff, as everytime I try to understand it confuses me a different way... :)

1. What is caster angle in bikes / cars?

The caster angle is the angle formed by the steering axis and the vertical axis of a bike or car. It is the angle at which the front suspension is tilted towards the back of the vehicle.

2. Why is caster angle important in bikes / cars?

The caster angle is important because it affects the stability and handling of the vehicle. It helps to keep the wheels aligned and maintain proper steering control while turning.

3. How does caster angle affect the handling of a bike / car?

The caster angle affects the handling of a bike or car by providing stability and reducing the effort required to steer. A larger caster angle results in more stability but requires more effort to steer, while a smaller caster angle provides less stability but requires less effort to steer.

4. What happens if the caster angle is not properly set?

If the caster angle is not properly set, it can lead to handling issues such as steering pull, uneven tire wear, and poor stability. It can also make the vehicle more difficult to control, especially at higher speeds.

5. Can the caster angle be adjusted?

Yes, the caster angle can be adjusted by either changing the height or angle of the steering axis or by using adjustable suspension components. This can help to fine-tune the handling and stability of the vehicle for different driving conditions or preferences.