Is there an adapter for small IC chips to fit on a PC board?

• Thread starter grimofdoom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ic Iphone
In summary, you can use the TLC5921DAPR chip or the 38 pin TSSOP socket adapter. You can also use a cheap base like a piece of perf board.
grimofdoom
I was going to start a project making a 16x16 led board( using sainsmart uno r3) and I had bought 2 ic chip w/ 16 I/I ports. But when I got it, they are a lot smaller then usual ic chip I get. Is there some sort of adapter for small to large that can be used in a PC board? Thanks(I'm fairly new to this, so I made my first mistake)Sent from my iPhone using Physics Forums

Engineering news on Phys.org
need more info

I got 2 32 pin(16x2) ic chip and they are the small ones that do not fit on a breadboard. The ic chip specifically is TLC5921DAPR TLC5921 16 port 80mA LED driver ICA-6462.

For a $3 chip, it might be easier to just buy the right one. Any adapter will cost at least that much.

What kind of chip can I get with 32x2 ,16 I/o breadboard size?

No, not even same number of pins.

grimofdoom said:
No, not even same number of pins.

since we are all just guessing

how about giving us some specifics ... give us links to your chip and your circuit board
so that we can see what you have

else we will just continue to go around in circles

Dave

As mentioned, you should post more specific info so we can help. Also do a Google search on Surfboard [STRIKE]ID[/STRIKE] IC Adapters to find more IC adapter resources.

EDIT -- Fixed typo

Last edited:
The ic chip I got was "TLC5921DAPR TLC5921 16 port 80mA LED driver ICA-6462."

Data sheet is http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/slls390/slls390.pdf

Double check that the pin spacing is correct on this adapter board:
http://www.proto-advantage.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=2200043{1}2

Just google "38 pin tssop socket" and look for something cheap and available that you like.

hmmmm --- wonder where I came up with 38 pins? weird.

Anyway, that's the idea. I think you need the 0.1 inch header pins also if you want to plug it into a breadboard or through-hole pcb.

I've got tons of them(got them for free from some kit). Btw, I'm going to do 16x16 leds in a square. What should I use as a cheap base that won't burn from solder(and can poke leds through).

1. What causes an IC chip to be smaller than expected?

There are several factors that can contribute to an IC chip being smaller than expected. These include advancements in technology, miniaturization techniques, and the use of new materials.

2. How does a smaller IC chip affect performance?

In most cases, a smaller IC chip will not affect performance as long as it is designed and manufactured correctly. In fact, smaller chips can often lead to improved performance due to decreased signal interference and shorter signal paths.

3. Can a smaller IC chip handle the same amount of data as a larger one?

Yes, a smaller IC chip can handle the same amount of data as a larger one as long as it is designed with the same capabilities. The size of the chip does not necessarily determine its processing power or storage capacity.

4. Are smaller IC chips more expensive?

Typically, smaller IC chips are more expensive to manufacture due to the advanced technology and precision required. However, as technology advances and production processes become more efficient, the cost of smaller chips may decrease over time.

5. What are some potential benefits of smaller IC chips?

Smaller IC chips offer many benefits, including improved performance, reduced power consumption, and increased portability. They also allow for more components to be packed into a smaller space, making them ideal for use in smaller and more compact devices.