Surface tension dependence on temperature

In summary, the surface tension dependence with respect to temperature is dependent on the compound's density, critical temperature and molar mass. Regarding the Kelvin effect, which is dependent on surface tension, it doesn't seem to exist for solid/air interfaces because at microscale level, solid is somewhat of a flat surface with an infinite curvature.
deb2014
Hello,

I am looking for a general formula for the surface tension dependence with respect to temperature.

I am aware of the Eötvös rule (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eötvös_rule), but I only found data for water, and wonder if there are some for other compounds.

Also, I wonder if speaking of surface tension for water with a temperature below the freezing point is meaningfull ?

To my opinion, as soon as a liquid freezes, it takes a cristal form with much stronger links molecules between themselves, so that the Kelvin effect would no more take place.

Am I right ?

Science news on Phys.org
I wasn't aware of an Eotvos rule and because of your link I have just looked at it for the first time. It looks pretty good to me and it seems it can be applied to different liquids. You need to look up the density, critical temperature and molar mass of the liquid and you can probably get this information by searching a site such as NIST.

Thanks for your answeer

I am just still wondering if surface tension (as well as kelvin effect) has a physical meaning for solid/air interface ?

deb2014 said:
Thanks for your answeer

I am just still wondering if surface tension (as well as kelvin effect) has a physical meaning for solid/air interface ?

I think there must be surface tension type (or analogous) effects wherever there is an interface between two different mediums including solid to solid, liquid to solid and so on. Consider a molecule in one of the mediums. The closer it is to the interface the more strongly it feels the effects of those molecules in the opposite medium.

Thans again for your answeer, which seems to me quite convincing.

I would also say that the surface tension solid/air should be greater than liquid/air
because molecules in the solid are much more tightened than in the liquid,

do not know if it is a good inference, nevertheless, as for the Kelvin effect,
which directly depends on the surface tension, I think it does not exist for solid/air interfaces
because Kelvin effect needs a curved surface, where as solid is, at microscale level, somewhat of a flat surface (infinite curvature)

Best regards

1. What is surface tension?

Surface tension is a property of liquids that describes the force acting on the surface of the liquid due to its molecules being more strongly attracted to each other than to the air or other materials.

2. How does temperature affect surface tension?

As temperature increases, surface tension decreases. This is because the molecules in the liquid gain more kinetic energy and become more mobile, making it easier for them to overcome the attractive forces and spread out over a larger surface area.

3. What is the relationship between surface tension and temperature?

The relationship between surface tension and temperature is inverse. As temperature increases, surface tension decreases, and vice versa.

4. What are some real-life applications of surface tension and temperature?

The effects of surface tension and temperature are seen in many daily activities such as boiling water, bubbles forming in soap or carbonated drinks, and the ability of bugs to walk on water due to the high surface tension of water at room temperature.

5. How is the dependence of surface tension on temperature measured?

The dependence of surface tension on temperature can be measured using various methods, such as the Du Nouy ring method or the Wilhelmy plate method, which involve measuring the force required to break the surface of a liquid at different temperatures.