Exploring Special Relativity: Recommended Textbooks and Publications

• Thread starter JM
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about recommendations for textbooks or publications that explain the basis of general relativity. Some suggested titles include "General Relativity from A to B" by Geroch, "Flat and Curved Space-Times" by Ellis and Williams, "General Relativity: A Geometric Approach" by Ludvigsen, "The Geometry of Spacetime: An Introduction to Special and General Relativity" by Callahan, "General Relativity" by Wald, and "The Large Scale Structure of Space-Time" by Hawking and Ellis. Online sources were also recommended, including a website and lecture notes. The person asking the question has a background in vibrations and acoustics, but is looking to learn more about Maxwell
JM
Hi all, I'm new and have been following the conversations for a few days.By way of getting acquainted, I wonder which textbooks, or other publications, you would recommend that describe the basis of the theory. I have read books by Einstein, Taylor and Wheeler, Feynman, and others. The difficulty with them is the lack of connection between the math and the physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your level of preparation?
Try
General Relativity from A to B https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0226288641/&tag=pfamazon01-20 by Geroch
Flat and Curved Space-Times
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0198511698/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by Ellis and Williams,
General Relativity: A Geometric Approach
by Ludvigsen,
The Geometry of Spacetime: An Introduction to Special and General Relativity
by Callahan,
General Relativity https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0226870332/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by Wald,
The Large Scale Structure of Space-Time https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0521099064/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by Hawking and Ellis

Even though a lot of these titles have "General Relativity", I feel they provide the essential spirit of how one should think about Special Relativity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, robphy and neutrino, for your replies to my question. I have considerable background in vibrations and acoustics, but little in Maxwell's electrodynamics or general relativity. My specific interest now is in the derivation of the Lorentz transforms and the explanation of time dilation, space contraction, and the twin paradox. I have printed Prof Hogg's notes ( the first four chapters ). At first glance his approach looks familiar, but I would like to look closer before commenting further.

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that explains the relationship between space and time and how they are affected by the motion of objects in the universe.

2. How is special relativity different from general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in non-accelerating (inertial) reference frames, while general relativity applies to all reference frames, including accelerating ones.

3. What are the key concepts of special relativity?

The key concepts of special relativity include the principles of relativity, the constancy of the speed of light, and the equivalence of mass and energy (E=mc²).

4. How does special relativity impact our understanding of time and space?

Special relativity states that time and space are relative and are affected by the motion of objects. It also introduces the concept of time dilation, where time passes slower for objects moving at high speeds.

5. What are some real-world applications of special relativity?

Special relativity has been applied in many areas, such as GPS technology, particle accelerators, and nuclear energy. It also plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe and the behavior of objects at high speeds.