Field Quantization: SHOs vs Bounded States

In summary, the mathematical description of the electric field through the simple harmonic oscillator raises/lowering operators leads to the field amplitudes behaving like a harmonic oscillator. This is due to the equilibrium point of a physical system being semi or quasi stable and small fluctuations away from this are guarenteed to have harmonic behaviour.
yosofun
i have read through a mathematical description of the quantization of the electric field through the simple harmonic oscillator raising/lowering operators. what is the physical interpretation and justification for this?

what if one assumes that photons do not behave like simple harmonic oscillators... but (perhaps) say bound states in an infinite square well. how would this change field quantization?

Physics news on Phys.org
yosofun said:
i have read through a mathematical description of the quantization of the electric field through the simple harmonic oscillator raising/lowering operators. what is the physical interpretation and justification for this?
what if one assumes that photons do not behave like simple harmonic oscillators... but (perhaps) say bound states in an infinite square well. how would this change field quantization?

What you are asking about is the advent of Second Quantization or Canonical quantization. Since i am too lazy to write all of this down, i suggest you first do some reading and let us then elaborate further.

marlon

Photons do not behave like simple harmonic oscillators, they behave like photons :

Daniel.

yosofun said:
When you expand the electromagnetic potential A in a Fourier series and insert this in the wave equation for A, you obtain that the field amplitudes behave like a harmonic oscilator. How could you get or postulate a different behaviour?

Well, I like to think of it as this: The harmonic oscillator is sort of the first defacto thing to think about in any branch of physics , its use is more or less fundamental whether it classical mechanics, quantum mechanics or field theory.

Physical systems that are tractable must have some semi or quasi stable equilibrium point in some set of variables, and small fluctuations away from this are guarenteed to have harmonic behaviour. So its natural, when you are trying to construct a linearized perturbation theory, to write out what you know and expect for the harmonic oscillator in such a situation, and then expand it out and work with that (being careful to match things appropriately along with all the information of the system, boundary conditions etc).

A famous colleague once said physics was 90% solved by Fourier analysis, the rest is just nitty gritty details =)

A tiny bit oversimplified, but morally kinda true.

On a serious note now, i'd say a good book on axiomatical field theory should get you clear with what "quantizing a classical system" means.

Daniel.

What is field quantization?

Field quantization is the process of treating a classical field, such as an electromagnetic field, as a quantum mechanical system. This allows us to describe the field in terms of quantized particles, known as quanta, which have discrete energy levels.

What is the difference between SHOs and bounded states in field quantization?

SHOs (simple harmonic oscillators) and bounded states are two different ways of describing the energy levels of quantum mechanical systems. SHOs have evenly spaced energy levels, while bounded states have discrete but unevenly spaced energy levels.

How does field quantization relate to quantum mechanics?

Field quantization is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, as it allows us to understand the behavior of particles and systems at the microscopic level. It provides a way to reconcile the discrete energy levels of quantum systems with the continuous nature of classical fields.

What is the significance of field quantization in modern physics?

Field quantization is essential in many areas of modern physics, including particle physics, condensed matter physics, and quantum field theory. It has allowed us to make predictions and explanations for a wide range of phenomena, from the behavior of subatomic particles to the properties of materials.

How is field quantization applied in practical settings?

Field quantization has numerous practical applications, such as in the development of quantum technologies, including quantum computing and quantum cryptography. It is also used in various fields of engineering, such as in the design of electronic devices and materials with specific optical properties.