Equivalence relations problem (algebra)

In summary: A is really Z/~ where ~ is the equivalence relation given. as with any equivalence relation, the underlying set (in this case the integers) gets partitioned into cosets, in this case the one where m^2 - n^2 is even & one where it's odd, so A:=Z/~ has two elements. make sigma(one coset) = 0 or 1 & sigma(other coset) = 0 or 1 (so sigma is bijective). i don't know what the actual bijection is but that's probably how it's done. might take some fiddling.
Pearce_09
Z = all integers

A = Z; m is related to n, means that [tex] m^2 - n^2 [/tex] is even;
B = {0,1}

I already proved that this is a equivalence relation, but i just don't know how to;

I need to find a well defined bejection
sigma : [tex] A_= -> B [/tex]

I hope this makes sense.. i wrote it up as well as I can.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pearce_09 said:
Z = all integers
A = Z; m is related to n, means that [tex] m^2 - n^2 [/tex] is even;
B = {0,1}
I already proved that this is a equivalence relation, but i just don't know how to;
I need to find a well defined bejection
sigma : [tex] A_= -> B [/tex]
I hope this makes sense.. i wrote it up as well as I can.

You want a bijection from A to B?

Is that was you are looking for?

Note: If that is the case, that isn't possible.

I'm confused, why wouldn't that be possible??

A is an equivalence class,
so yes i am looking for
[tex] A_= -> B [/tex]

A has more than two elements, where B has two elements.

If I got the definition of bijection, which I think I do, then it's not possible.

I could be reading the definition of the set A incorrectly.

no, i think A is really Z/~ where ~ is the equivalence relation given. as with any equivalence relation, the underlying set (in this case the integers) gets partitioned into cosets, in this case the one where m^2 - n^2 is even & one where it's odd, so A:=Z/~ has two elements. make sigma(one coset) = 0 or 1 & sigma(other coset) = 0 or 1 (so sigma is bijective). i don't know what the actual bijection is but that's probably how it's done. might take some fiddling.

fourier jr said:
no, i think A is really Z/~ where ~ is the equivalence relation given. as with any equivalence relation, the underlying set (in this case the integers) gets partitioned into cosets, in this case the one where m^2 - n^2 is even & one where it's odd, so A:=Z/~ has two elements. make sigma(one coset) = 0 or 1 & sigma(other coset) = 0 or 1 (so sigma is bijective). i don't know what the actual bijection is but that's probably how it's done. might take some fiddling.

Oh, I thought you said all elements (m and n) that satisfy that and that are in Z, which would be written as a pair is in A.

You know what. I'm really confused.

yes Fourier jr, that's the idea..
thanks guys for giving me a push in the right direction

another way to write it is

m~n <==> [tex]m^2 \equiv n^2 (mod2)[/tex] ie [tex]m^2 - n^2 \equiv 0 (mod2)[/tex]

so you've got 2 possibilities: m~n or not, in which case [tex]m^2 - n^2 \equiv 1 (mod2)[/tex]

(OOPS i just gave the solution away i think :blushing: )

edit: only jasonrox is allowed to read this!

Last edited:
im actually going to post another question similar to this..
thanks

fourier jr said:
another way to write it is
m~n <==> [tex]m^2 \equiv n^2 (mod2)[/tex] ie [tex]m^2 - n^2 \equiv 0 (mod2)[/tex]
so you've got 2 possibilities: m~n or not, in which case [tex]m^2 - n^2 \equiv 1 (mod2)[/tex]
(OOPS i just gave the solution away i think :blushing: )
edit: only jasonrox is allowed to read this!

I see what's going on now. Thanks. :biggrin:

What is an equivalence relation?

An equivalence relation is a mathematical concept that defines a relationship between two elements of a set. It is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive, meaning that it relates an element to itself, is bidirectional, and is transitive among three elements.

What is the difference between an equivalence relation and an equality relation?

An equivalence relation is a more general concept than an equality relation. While an equality relation only defines when two elements are exactly the same, an equivalence relation allows for more flexibility in defining relationships between elements. For example, two fractions may not be exactly equal, but they can still be considered equivalent if they represent the same value.

How do you determine if a relation is an equivalence relation?

To determine if a relation is an equivalence relation, you must check if it satisfies the three properties of reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. If it satisfies all three properties, it is an equivalence relation. If it fails to satisfy even one of the properties, it is not an equivalence relation.

What are some examples of equivalence relations?

Some examples of equivalence relations include: equality (where two elements are exactly the same), congruence (in geometry, where two shapes have the same size and shape), and similarity (in geometry, where two shapes have the same shape, but not necessarily the same size). Other examples can include relationships between sets, numbers, and functions.

How are equivalence relations used in algebra?

Equivalence relations are used in algebra to simplify and solve equations. For example, in solving equations involving fractions, we often use the concept of equivalent fractions, where we multiply or divide both the numerator and denominator by the same number to find an equivalent fraction that is easier to work with. This concept is based on the idea of equivalence relations.