Proving Non-Separability of $\ell^{\infty}$ and Duality with $\ell^1$

• Thread starter benorin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Duality
In summary: So we have a contradiction, thus l^infinity dual is not l^1.In summary, the conversation discusses the Banach space \ell^{\infty} which is normed by the supremum-norm and its relationship with the dual space of \ell^{1}. It is proven that \ell^{\infty} is not separable and that its dual space is not equal to \ell^{1}.
benorin
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I would like to prove that [itex] \ell^{\infty}[/itex], namely the Banach space whose elements are sequences of complex numbers that have a fininte infinity-norm (a.k.a. the supremum-norm,) that is for [itex]\alpha = \left\{ \alpha_k \right\}_{k=1}^{\infty},[/tex]

[tex] \ell^{\infty}=\left\{\alpha : \sup\left\{ \left| \alpha_n \right| : n\in\mathbb{N}\right\}<\infty \right\}, [/tex] normed by [tex]\| \alpha\|_{\infty}=\sup\left\{ \left| \alpha_n \right| : n\in\mathbb{N}\right\}[/tex]

is not separable, that is that it does not possesses a countable dense basis. I do not well understand what it means for a space to be separable :confused: : does it mean that any element (e.g. any sequence, vector, function, ...) of that space can be expressed as either a linear combination of the elements (say, functions) of some countable (basis?) set or a limit thereof?

Would someone please clearly explain this topic that I might more fully understand it, and, perhaps, the concept of dual spaces: specifically, why is [itex] \ell^{\infty}=(\ell^{1})^*[/itex]? where X* denotes the dual space of X and where [itex] \ell^{1}[/itex] is the Banach space of sequences of complex numbers defined by

[tex] \ell^{1}=\left\{\alpha : \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \left| \alpha_k \right| <\infty \right\}, [/tex] normed by [tex]\| \alpha\|_{1}=\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \left| \alpha_k \right|[/tex]

And, why, despite this relationship, is [itex] (\ell^{\infty})^*=(\ell^{1})^{**}\neq \ell^{1}[/itex]? I realize that I have asked alot, but I would rather that sufficient information be put forth that I could join-in the discussion.

Thanks,
--Ben

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me do the second one first, and get it out the way.

l^infinity is the dual space of l^1 'becuase it is'. you can work out what the linear functionals on l^1 are and they are precisely the space of bounded sequences.

the reflexive property fails 'because it does', ie you can find a linear functional on l^infinity that is not in l^1, obviously l^1 is contained in the dual space of l^infinity but it is not all of it.

you should try to prove these things to your self. but do not try to work out what the dual space of l^infinity actually is, because it will give you a headache.

I'm a little confused...

Regarding functionals on the dual space of a Banach space, I'm a little confused... :redface:

So let X be a Banach space, a functional on X is a mapping of vectors in X to complex numbers (or whatever the scalar field is,) correct? Then a functional on X* is what? a vector in X that maps functionals in X* to complex numbers?

benorin said:
So let X be a Banach space, a functional on X is a mapping of vectors in X to complex numbers (or whatever the scalar field is,) correct?

add in the word linear and yes
Then a functional on X* is what?

why don't you put X* in the sentence above, since that is its definition?

Incidentally there is an existential proof that the double dual of l^1 is not l^1.

Thm: Let X be a banach space, then if X^* is separable so is X.

Cor. l^infinity dual is not l^1.

Proof of cor: if l^infinity dual were l^1(which is separable) then applying the theorem l^infinity would be separable, but we know it isn't.

Last edited:

1. What is the significance of proving non-separability of $\ell^{\infty}$ and duality with $\ell^1$?

The significance of this proof lies in its implications for functional analysis and Hilbert spaces. It provides a deeper understanding of the relationship between the Banach spaces $\ell^{\infty}$ and $\ell^1$ and their dual spaces. It also has applications in various areas of mathematics, such as optimization and measure theory.

2. What is the definition of non-separability in functional analysis?

In functional analysis, a space is considered separable if it contains a countable dense subset. This means that for any point in the space, there exists a sequence of points in the subset that converges to it. Non-separability means that such a countable dense subset does not exist in the space.

3. How can the non-separability of $\ell^{\infty}$ and duality with $\ell^1$ be proven?

The proof involves constructing a specific element in $\ell^{\infty}$ and showing that it cannot be written as a linear combination of elements in $\ell^1$. This proves that there is no dense subset of $\ell^1$ that can approximate all elements in $\ell^{\infty}$, thus proving non-separability.

4. What is the concept of duality in functional analysis?

In functional analysis, duality refers to the relationship between a space and its dual space. The dual space consists of all continuous linear functionals on the original space. This relationship is important in understanding the properties and structure of Banach spaces.

5. What are the applications of proving non-separability of $\ell^{\infty}$ and duality with $\ell^1$?

The proof has applications in various areas of mathematics, such as optimization, Fourier analysis, and measure theory. It also has implications in other fields, such as economics and engineering, where functional analysis is used to model and analyze complex systems.