Solve the 4 Doors to Hell Riddle

• Thread starter Numbnut247
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Riddle
In summary: He could just ignore the stones and go through a door at random. The question isn't, "How can he, in the fewest number of questions/with maximum certainty...?" So, he could ask stone 1, "What door do I need to go through to stay alive?" and go through door 1. And then he'd be fine, and the stones would be left with the mess.In summary, the person can ask indirect questions to the stones to find the correct door to safety. Some possible questions include: asking a stone about another stone's answer, asking a stone about its own truthfulness, or asking a stone for the correct door to exit. The person could also ignore the stones
from each stone numbered n ask " is nth door the door to safety" when he gets consecutive yes or no he will get the right answer. If there are 3 consecutive yes/no then the middle one is the correct gate .ie if he gets answers nynnn then 4th door is the door to safety.

Physics news on Phys.org

Answer:

Ask each stone if the door corresponding to its number is the safe one.
The stone in front of the safe door can either lie to you, or tell the truth, which doesn't matter because...
The left and right neighbour of the 'safe-door stone' have to do the opposite: if the safe stone lies, the both have to tell the truth, and vice versa. The answers of these three stones will therefore be identical, since the doors neighbouring the safe one are dangerous.

From the list of replies, there will be three consecutive replies identical to each other. The middle one of these three belongs to the safe door.

Example:

safe door: +, dangerous door: -
case I: T,F,T,F,T; case II: F,T,F,T,F

suppose door #3 is safe. The replies will be either:
case I:-+++-
case II:+---+
In both cases the pattern of replies reveals that door #3 is the safe one.

Edit: Wow nevermind, I'm dumb.

Last edited: