Differentiating y=2x√4-2x³ - Dan

In summary, -Differentiating a product using the chain rule is faster than the product rule.-If you're working with a logarithm, taking the logarithm and differentiating is a quicker way to do it.
danago
Gold Member
Hey. If i have:
[tex]
y = 2x\sqrt {4 - 2x^3 }
[/tex]

To differentiate it, i used the product rule, but used the chain rule to differentiate the [itex]\sqrt {4 - 2x^3}[/itex] part. I got the answer right, but was just wondering, is there a quicker way of doing it? Or have i gone about it the right way?

Thanks,
Dan.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've done it the right way :smile:

As far as I know there is no othere way (execept if you use a computer). And it really isn't that long either.

PS Somethimes it's easier if you differentiate using logoritems (especially if there's a lot of multiplication involved).

danago said:
Hey. If i have:
[tex]
y = 2x\sqrt {4 - 2x^3 }
[/tex]

To differentiate it, i used the product rule, but used the chain rule to differentiate the [itex]\sqrt {4 - 2x^3}[/itex] part. I got the answer right, but was just wondering, is there a quicker way of doing it? Or have i gone about it the right way?

Thanks,
Dan.
I'm not sure what you would consider 'quicker' but writing this as
[tex]y= 2x(4- 2x^3)^\frac{1}{2}[/tex]
at least makes the derivative a bit clearer.

HallsofIvy said:
I'm not sure what you would consider 'quicker' but writing this as
[tex]y= 2x(4- 2x^3)^\frac{1}{2}[/tex]
at least makes the derivative a bit clearer.

Yea that's what i did. Then i said that [tex]f(x)=2x[/tex] and [tex]g(x)=(4- 2x^3)^\frac{1}{2}[/tex]. I then differentiated g(x) with the chain rule, then once i found that, i used the product rule to find the final derivative.

Or you could do some algebra and throw the 2x into the square root before doing any calculus operations, which removes the need for the product rule.

[tex]y = 2x \sqrt{4-2x^3} = \sqrt{4x^2 (4-2x^3)} [/tex]

The above however doesn't work well, because you lose the sign.

Another potential way to simplify might be to take logarithm and differentiate that, but you have to be careful there.

mezarashi said:
Or you could do some algebra and throw the 2x into the square root before doing any calculus operations, which removes the need for the product rule.

[tex]y = 2x \sqrt{4-2x^3} = \sqrt{4x^2 (4-2x^3)} [/tex]

I never thought of doing it like that :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies everyone.

1. What is the equation y=2x√4-2x³?

The equation y=2x√4-2x³ represents a polynomial function with a degree of 3. It can also be written as y=2x(4-2x²).

2. How do you differentiate y=2x√4-2x³?

To differentiate y=2x√4-2x³, you can use the Power Rule and the Chain Rule. First, bring the exponent down in front and decrease it by 1, giving you y'=2(4-2x²)^(1/2)-(2x³)(1/2). Then, use the Chain Rule by multiplying by the derivative of the inner function, which in this case is 2x. The final derivative is y'=4x(4-2x²)^(-1/2)-x²(4-2x²)^(-1/2).

3. What is the degree of y=2x√4-2x³?

The degree of y=2x√4-2x³ is 3, as the highest exponent in the equation is 3. This means that the graph of the function will have a maximum of 3 turning points.

4. What is the purpose of the constant term in y=2x√4-2x³?

The constant term in y=2x√4-2x³, which is -2x³, is used to shift the graph of the function horizontally. It does not affect the slope or the shape of the graph, but it changes the position of the graph on the x-axis.

5. How can I graph y=2x√4-2x³?

To graph y=2x√4-2x³, you can use a graphing calculator or manually plot points by choosing values for x and calculating the corresponding y values. The graph will be a curve with a degree of 3, and it may have up to 3 turning points depending on the values chosen for x.