Locality and non-locality in period measurement

In summary, the conversation discusses the Doppler shift formula and its use in measuring time intervals and making assumptions about locality and nonlocality. The question of how nonlocality affects the ability to send mechanical signals is also raised.
bernhard.rothenstein
consider the Doppler shift formula
f=f'gamma(1+betacostheta). (1)
the measurements of f and f' are associated with the measurement of time intervals, during which, depending on the scenario we follow, beta and theta could change. authors say that using (1) we make the "locality" assmption in the period measurement. others make the non-locality assumption, taking into account the changes which could occure. non-locality is favoured by high relative velocities and high periods involved in the Doppler effect expriment. inserting and removing a shutter in the way of light rays we can generate light signals transmitted at mechanical frequencies. what about (1) under such conditions? I have my own oppinion, but i want to know other ones, from people interested in the field.
sine ira et studio

Physics news on Phys.org
bernhard.rothenstein said:
non-locality is favoured by high relative velocities and high periods involved in the Doppler effect expriment.
QUOTE]
Nonlocality has nothing to do with the doppler effect or high relative velocities. I'm not absolutely sure what the question was but the doppler effect, time dialation, or locality would have any effect on your capacity to send a mechanical signal the way you described.

locality and nonlocality

my_wan said:
bernhard.rothenstein said:
non-locality is favoured by high relative velocities and high periods involved in the Doppler effect expriment.
QUOTE]
Nonlocality has nothing to do with the doppler effect or high relative velocities. I'm not absolutely sure what the question was but the doppler effect, time dialation, or locality would have any effect on your capacity to send a mechanical signal the way you described.
it is not about emission it is about reception!
sine ira et studio

1. What is locality and non-locality in period measurement?

Locality and non-locality refer to the concept of whether a physical property of a system can be determined by measuring only the properties of its local components, or if it requires information from distant components as well.

2. How does locality and non-locality affect period measurement?

In period measurement, locality and non-locality can affect the accuracy and precision of the measurement. If a system exhibits non-local behavior, the period measurement may be affected by external factors or the properties of distant components, leading to potential errors in the measurement.

3. What are some examples of local and non-local systems in period measurement?

An example of a local system in period measurement would be a pendulum, where the period is determined solely by the properties of the pendulum itself. Non-local systems in period measurement can include quantum systems, where the behavior of particles can be influenced by distant particles.

4. How do scientists account for non-locality in period measurement?

Scientists use mathematical models and theories, such as quantum mechanics, to account for non-locality in period measurement. They also conduct experiments to study the effects of non-locality on period measurements and develop techniques to minimize its impact.

5. Can non-locality be observed in macroscopic systems in period measurement?

Non-locality is typically observed in microscopic systems, but there have been some studies that suggest it may also exist in macroscopic systems in period measurement. However, further research is needed to fully understand and observe non-locality in macroscopic systems.