Nuclear engineering journals?

In summary: Journal of Nuclear Science and Technology (JNST) 2) Annals of Nuclear Energy (ANA) 3) Nuclear Engineering and Design (NED) 4) Progress in Nuclear Energy (PNE) 5) Journal of Nuclear Material (JNM) 6) Nuclear Plant Journal (NPL) 7) International Journal of Nuclear Energy (IJNE) 8) Nuclear Engineering and Technology (NET) 9) American Journal of Physics (AJP)10) Journal of Applied Nuclear Science (JANS)
Azael
Im looking through what nuclear engineering/nuclear power journals I have online acess to through my university and I find these ones

Annals of nuclear energy
Journal of nuclear material
Nuclear engineering and design
NEA news
Progress in nuclear energy
Nuclear plant journal

I want to read stuff a little more indepth about nuclear power since I am tired of the more general info like in for instance this e-book(nuclear electricity 7th edition) http://www.uic.com.au/ne.htm, I haven't taken a nuclear physics or reactor physics classes yet though(I am starting my third year as a physics undergrad).

I want to learn more about acctual reactor designs ect.

Which one of the above mentioned journals has the best reputation and the highest standards? Is any of them flat out bad? Any other source of more detailed info that I should look for?
I am interested in the whole fuel cycle, particulary transmutation and waste disposal and reactor designs(especialy 4th generation).

I want to learn as much as possible because I want to decide what path to follow during my third and fourth year. I am balancing betwen taking classes so I am more fit to work with nuclear power, nuclear propulsion in the future or shooting for a career in astrophysics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
All three journals:
Annals of nuclear energy
Journal of nuclear material
Nuclear engineering and design

have solid reputations. I am not as familiar with Annals of NE, but I use JNM and NED quite a lot and many colleagues have published in these journals. JNM is devoted to materials as the title indicates. NED is more about reactor and plant engineering with articles on topics like thermal-hydraulics, heat transfer, fluid mechanics, structural mechanics, and perhaps some nuclear or reactor physics.

NEA news and Nuclear plant journal are trade press journals with more news than technical information.

I don't often read Progress in Nuclear Energy, although I probably should browse it once in a while. It deals with fuel cycle, reactor/plant designs and safety and proliferation topics. PNE is also published by Elsevier and it has a solid reputation like NED and JNM.

Working with materials & fracture & related design issues typically follow & publish in NE&D and J. of NM ... feel both are solid journals content wise, and although my stuff doesn't relate that much to Annals of Nuclear Energy browse it occationally for fluid mechanics, safety, reactor physics, heat transfer etc. papers. Out of your list all those journals other than the "lighter" news stuff is technically worthwhile in one way or another ... and reading those 'lighter' ones isn't a bad idea either.

Thanks for the input :) Il start digging in those journals.

On-line e-journals - Journal of Nuclear Science and Technology - pdfs
http://wwwsoc.nii.ac.jp/aesj/jnst/e-journal.html

Click on each No. #

Main Page - http://wwwsoc.nii.ac.jp/aesj/jnst/index.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of nuclear engineering journals?

Nuclear engineering journals serve as a platform for the dissemination of research and developments in the field of nuclear engineering. They provide a means for scientists, engineers, and other professionals to share their findings, discuss new ideas and technologies, and contribute to the advancement of the field.

2. How are articles selected for publication in nuclear engineering journals?

Articles submitted to nuclear engineering journals undergo a rigorous peer-review process where they are evaluated by experts in the field for their scientific validity, originality, and relevance. Only articles that meet the journal's standards are accepted for publication.

3. What topics are typically covered in nuclear engineering journals?

Nuclear engineering journals cover a wide range of topics related to the use of nuclear energy, including nuclear reactor design, radiation protection, nuclear waste management, and nuclear fusion research. They also cover interdisciplinary topics such as nuclear medicine, nuclear materials, and nuclear security.

4. How can I access nuclear engineering journals?

Nuclear engineering journals are typically available through academic databases and online platforms. Some journals may also offer individual subscriptions or open access options. Additionally, many universities and research institutions have subscriptions to these journals, allowing their members to access them for free.

5. Are nuclear engineering journals only for professionals in the field?

No, nuclear engineering journals are not limited to professionals in the field. While they primarily target scientists and engineers, they can also be a valuable resource for students, policymakers, and anyone interested in learning about the latest advancements and issues in nuclear engineering.