Is My Calculation for Cylinder and Piston Height Correct?

• Thread starter S_fabris
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a vertical cylinder with a tight-fitting, frictionless piston and an ideal gas. The goal is to determine the height at which the piston reaches equilibrium under its own weight. The conversation includes calculations using the pressure equation and the volume equation, with some discrepancies in the answers. It is later discovered that atmospheric pressure must also be taken into account, resulting in a final answer of 3.26 meters.
S_fabris
I think I might have this one right but my answer seems kinda high...can somebody help me out...just to confirm

A vertical cylinder of cross-sectional area 0.045m2 is fitted with a tight-fitting, frictionless piston of mass 6.5kg. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2, andthe universal gas constant is 8.31451 J/Kmol.
If there are 4.4mol of an ideal gas in the cylinder at 412 K, determine the height h at which the position is in equilibrium under its own weight (in units of m).

The work I have so far is the following:
Pressure=f x area=(6.5kgx9.81)x(0.045m2)
=2.869N/m2

using PV=nRT I isolated my Volume
V = (4.4mol x 8.3145 x 412K) / 2.869N/m2
= 5253.58 m3

Using this volume inside the cylinder I want to find the height:
h = volume/area
= 5253.58m3 / 0.045m2
= 116 746.22m (this seems kind of high for a height, no?)

I also tried this
Area of cylinder = 2 x pie x r2
isolated my radius then plugged that into V = pie x r2 x h
the height I calculated was 334688.55m (once again pretty high)

I'm assuming my first calculation h= volume/area is a more reliable answer but I just need some assurance as to my answer...it seems pretty high for a cylinder/piston

Thanks
Sergio

Physics news on Phys.org
Good of you to be suspicious of this answer. Check your pressure calculation.

Ah yes Pressure = Force DEVIDED by area...
...long day :P

Thank you OlderDan
Sergio

I tried doing the same calculations using the corrected pressure equation and came to the answer of 236.38meters (using height = volume / area) and this isn't the correct answer on the homework service...again is it a formula problem i am having? (i tried the calcs a few times over to make sure)

Anybody? thanks...:)

S_fabris said:
I tried doing the same calculations using the corrected pressure equation and came to the answer of 236.38meters (using height = volume / area) and this isn't the correct answer on the homework service...again is it a formula problem i am having? (i tried the calcs a few times over to make sure)

Anybody? thanks...:)
You are ignoring atmospheric pressure. Total pressure on the gas is atmospheric pressure plus the piston pressure.

You can easily see that your volume cannot be right. 4.4 moles at STP would be 4.4 x 22.4 = 98.6 l = .0986 m^3. This is just a little more than atmospheric pressure (about 1.5 kPa above atmospheric pressure which is about 101 kPa).

I get a little more than 3 metres.

AM

Last edited:
Perfect, ur right i totally forgot about the atmospheric pressure exerted on the piston...I added 1.013x10^5N/m2 to my calculated pressure ...after all the calcs i got 3.26m which makes MUCH more sense and it is correct :D

thank you all for your patience...
Sergio

1. What is a cylinder/piston problem?

A cylinder/piston problem refers to an issue with the functioning of a piston within a cylinder. This can occur in various mechanical systems such as engines, pumps, and compressors.

2. What are the common causes of a cylinder/piston problem?

The most common causes of a cylinder/piston problem include worn out or damaged piston rings, improper lubrication, overheating, and contamination of the cylinder walls.

3. How can a cylinder/piston problem be diagnosed?

A cylinder/piston problem can be diagnosed by conducting a visual inspection of the piston and cylinder, performing compression and leak-down tests, and analyzing the exhaust gases for any abnormal readings.

4. What are the potential consequences of ignoring a cylinder/piston problem?

Ignoring a cylinder/piston problem can lead to decreased engine performance, increased fuel consumption, and potentially catastrophic failures such as engine seizure or piston ring breakage.

5. How can a cylinder/piston problem be fixed?

The method of fixing a cylinder/piston problem will depend on the specific issue. Some common solutions include replacing the damaged piston rings, cleaning or honing the cylinder walls, and addressing any underlying issues such as improper lubrication or overheating.