What is the Maximum Profit for a Firm with a Given Profit Curve?

In summary, the conversation involved solving a problem related to a firm's profit curve, where the goal was to find the output that would maximize profit. The solution involved calculating the derivative and setting it equal to zero to find the output. The maximum profit was also calculated using the same output. A clarification was also made about the derivative step and the correct value for the output.
ditchqueen
I Think I am right on a, but not quite sure on B. I put this in the calc section, because I think B needs to be solved as a dirivitive.
Thank you

Given a firms profit curve of:
Profit= -3 + 15Q - 1.25Q^2
a) Calculate the output that would maximize the firms's profit.

15-1.25Q^2=0
15=1.25
15/1.25 = 12
Output = 12

b)Calculate the maximum profit:
-3 + 15Q-1.25Q^2
-3 +15 (12) - 1.25 (24)=
57-30=27

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ditchqueen and welcome to the forums.

On question (a) you have the right idea, but you haven't differentiated correctly, check the final term. As for (b) you have answered this correctly, except you have used the incorrect values from question (a). Also note that [itex]12^2\neq24[/itex].

Lost

I think I am lost on the differentiated part. I can't believe I had 12^2 as 24! I know better then that sorry :)
Ok I think I did it! Is the dir 0?

Last edited:
ditchqueen said:
I Think I am right on a, but not quite sure on B. I put this in the calc section, because I think B needs to be solved as a dirivitive.
Actually, it is A that requires the derivative

Thank you

Given a firms profit curve of:
Profit= -3 + 15Q - 1.25Q^2
a) Calculate the output that would maximize the firms's profit.

15-1.25Q^2=0
The derivative of -3+ 15Q- 1.25Q2 is 15- 2(1.25)Q= 15- 2.5Q

15=1.25
15/1.25 = 12
Output = 12
15- 2.5Q= 0 so 2.5Q= 15. Q= 15(2/5)= 6

b)Calculate the maximum profit:
-3 + 15Q-1.25Q^2
-3 +15 (12) - 1.25 (24)=
57-30=27
Q= 6, not 24.

Thank you! I have some questions though
-3+ 15Q- 1.25Q2 is 15- 2(1.25)Q= 15- 2.5Q
What happened to the -3? also , is it 2(1.25) because the Q was squared?
Thank you

1. What is the definition of "max profit" in economics?

Max profit, also known as maximum profit, is the highest amount of earnings that a company or individual can achieve from a particular business venture or product.

2. How is "max profit" calculated in economics?

In economics, max profit is calculated by subtracting the total cost of production from the total revenue. This calculation allows businesses to determine the most profitable level of production.

3. What factors influence "max profit" in economics?

There are several factors that can influence max profit in economics, including the demand for the product, the cost of production, competition in the market, and economic conditions such as inflation and interest rates.

4. How does "max profit" differ from "marginal profit" in economics?

Max profit is the total earnings from a business venture, while marginal profit is the additional profit gained from producing one more unit of a product. Max profit takes into account all costs and revenues, while marginal profit focuses on the change in profit from a single unit.

5. What strategies can businesses use to increase "max profit" in economics?

Businesses can use various strategies to increase max profit, such as reducing production costs, increasing prices, expanding into new markets, and improving the quality of their products. They can also conduct market research to identify opportunities for growth and make strategic investments in technology and innovation.