Drawing Feynman diagrams

In summary, the conversation is about finding a software for easily drawing Feynman diagrams. Three options were mentioned: FeynMF, FeynmanDraw, and FeynDiagram. While FeynMF is the best option, it is not a Windows application. The person asking the question does not want to use photoshop or similar software. However, the suggestion is made to use FeynMF to create templates and then use diagram software to connect the pieces. The conversation ends with the person not being able to find a better option.
evgkr
Hi,
I'm seeking for a software, witch will alow me to easily draw Feynman diagrams.
I have currently found:

FeynMF: LaTeX package. Not very nice to use, but good quality diagrams
FeynmanDraw: Very primitive WIN software. Not fine diagrams.
FeynDiagram: C++ source for drawing. Complicated and not so fine diagrams.

Meanwhile the best is FeynMF, althouth it is NOT a WIN application.

Isn't it any good WIN application for frawing fine Feynman diagrams ?

(Please, do not mention Photoshop, Paintshop and etc.)

Computer science news on Phys.org
I did a search and couldn't find anything better.

I know you said no photoshop, etc, but...

You could render the components in FeynMF and trace over the image with diagram software like Dia for linux or Visio for Windows (or even photoshop) to create a template for each piece. Then use the snap feature in these software packages to connect the pieces like a puzzle.

There are a few options for drawing Feynman diagrams on a Windows platform. One is JaxoDraw, which is a Java-based program that allows for easy and high-quality diagram creation. Another option is TikZ-Feynman, which is a LaTeX package that integrates with the TikZ graphics system and allows for the creation of high-quality diagrams within a LaTeX document. Finally, you could also consider using Inkscape, a free and open-source vector graphics editor, which has a Feynman diagram extension available for download. I hope this helps in your search for a suitable application for drawing Feynman diagrams.

1. How do I know which particles should be included in a Feynman diagram?

The particles included in a Feynman diagram depend on the specific interaction or process being depicted. Generally, only fundamental particles such as quarks, leptons, and bosons are shown in Feynman diagrams. It is important to consult the appropriate mathematical equations to determine which particles should be included.

2. What do the lines and arrows in a Feynman diagram represent?

The lines in a Feynman diagram represent the paths of particles, while the arrows indicate the direction of their movement. Straight lines represent particles that are not affected by the interaction, while wavy lines represent carriers of forces such as photons or gluons.

3. How do I label the particles in a Feynman diagram?

The particles in a Feynman diagram are typically labeled with their corresponding symbols from the Standard Model of particle physics. For example, quarks are labeled with the letters u, d, c, s, t, or b, while leptons are labeled with e, μ, τ, νe, νμ, or ντ. Antiparticles are denoted with a bar over the symbol.

4. Can a Feynman diagram be used to calculate the probability of an interaction occurring?

Yes, Feynman diagrams can be used to calculate the probability of an interaction occurring. The size of the diagram and the length of its lines are related to the probability of the interaction taking place. However, other factors such as the energy of the particles and the strength of the interaction must also be considered in the calculation.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines for drawing Feynman diagrams?

Yes, there are some rules and guidelines for drawing Feynman diagrams. For example, time flows from left to right in a Feynman diagram, and the vertices where lines intersect represent interactions between particles. Additionally, certain symmetries and conservation laws must be maintained in the diagram. It is also important to use the correct mathematical equations and consider the relevant physical laws when creating a Feynman diagram.