Solving the Triple Scalar Product: Finding the Value of a(dot)(a(cross)b)

In summary, the value of a(dot)(a(cross)b) is a scalar product of a and a vector c that is perpendicular to a. The trick to solving this question is to write out the cross product by hand and then take the scalar product. This approach may seem challenging at first, but with practice, it can help to improve critical thinking skills.
CaityAnn

Homework Statement

What is the value of a(dot)(a(cross)b) ? Why?
I am supposed to find an actual value.
Sorry I don't know code, these variables are all vectors. A is dotted with vectors a and b which are cross product.

Homework Equations

I know this can be written as a determinate of all three variables but I do not see how this gives me a single answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
axb is perpendicular to a and b. The relevant part of this is that it is perpendicular to a, so axb is some vector c perpendicular to a. So what is a.c when c is perpendicular to a?

Try this, write out the cross product by hand.

Once you have the cross product, take the scalar product.

(There is a trick to this question, see if you can find it).

^ ^physicist, you're evil! Yes, once CaityAnn has gone through that pain, perhaps she will learn that it is better to think!

It may be evil, but I find if you work through it this way, after doing it a couple of times you start seeing the trick...

1. What is the triple scalar product?

The triple scalar product is a mathematical operation that takes three vectors as inputs and produces a scalar value as the output. It is also known as the scalar triple product or the mixed triple product.

2. How is the triple scalar product calculated?

The triple scalar product is calculated by taking the dot product of one vector with the cross product of the other two vectors. This can be represented by the equation a · (b x c) where a, b, and c are the three vectors.

3. What is the geometric interpretation of the triple scalar product?

The triple scalar product has a geometric interpretation as the volume of the parallelepiped formed by the three input vectors. This means that the value of the triple scalar product is equal to the signed volume of the parallelepiped.

4. What are some applications of the triple scalar product?

The triple scalar product can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is commonly used in calculating torque and angular momentum in physics problems. It is also used in determining the orientation of a plane in 3D space.

5. Can the triple scalar product be negative?

Yes, the triple scalar product can be negative. This indicates that the vectors are arranged in a counterclockwise direction, resulting in a negative volume for the parallelepiped. A positive value indicates a clockwise arrangement of vectors, while a zero value indicates that the vectors are coplanar.