Calculating Related Rates: Conical and Cylindrical Volume Formulas Explained

In summary: Since the water is being drained from the bottom of the cone, the height of the cone is decreasing at a rate of 10 in3/min. If the height of the cone is h, then the height of the water is h- 10t where t is time in minutes. The radius of the water at time t is (h- 10t)/h= 1- 10t/h so the volume of the water at time t is [itex]\pi (h- 10t)^2(1- 10t/h)/3[/itex]. Differentiate that with respect to t to find the rate of decrease of volume as a function of t.
joe32725

Homework Statement

2. Coffee is draining from a conical filter into a cylindrical coffee pot at the rate of 10 in3/min.

a) How fast is the level in the pot rising? ____________

b) How fast is the level in the cone falling when the level in the cone is 5 in.? _________

Homework Equations

i know i need to use the volume formulas for a cylinder and a cone, but i don't know how to differentiate them. here's the wrong answers i got:

V= pi(r^2)h --> d/dt[V]= pi(2r)(dh/dt)--> dV/dt= 2(pi)(r)*dh/dt
dh/dt= (1/(2(pi)(r)))*dV/dt

dV/dt= 2/3(pi)(r)(dh/dt)
3/(2(pi)(r))*(dV/dt)

The Attempt at a Solution

when i differentiate both sides with respect to time i get:

d/dt[V]= 2/3(Pi)(r)*(dh/dt) ---> dV/dt= 2/3(pi)(r)(dh/dt)

dh/dt= 3/(2(pi)(r))*(dV/dt)

dh/dt= 3/(2(pi)(r))*(10in^3/min)

30/2(pi)r = 15/(pi)(r) in^3/min

p.s. this is really getting frustrating. if calc 1 is throwing me curveballs like this that i can't solve, my quest to be a mechanical engineer seams very bleak.

Physics news on Phys.org
joe32725 said:

Homework Statement

2. Coffee is draining from a conical filter into a cylindrical coffee pot at the rate of 10 in3/min.

a) How fast is the level in the pot rising? ____________

b) How fast is the level in the cone falling when the level in the cone is 5 in.? _________

Homework Equations

i know i need to use the volume formulas for a cylinder and a cone, but i don't know how to differentiate them. here's the wrong answers i got:

V= pi(r^2)h --> d/dt[V]= pi(2r)(dh/dt)--> dV/dt= 2(pi)(r)*dh/dt
dh/dt= (1/(2(pi)(r)))*dV/dt
Okay, that's how fast the height of the coffee in the pot is increasing.

dV/dt= 2/3(pi)(r)(dh/dt)
3/(2(pi)(r))*(dV/dt)
?? [itex]V= (1/3)\pi r^2 h[/itex]. You seem to have differentiated r2 with respect to r but then multiplied by dh/dt rather than dr/dt. Using the product rule
[tex]\frac{dV}{dt}= (2/3)\pi r h \frac{dr}{dt}+ (1/3)\pi r^2 \frac{dh}{dt}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

when i differentiate both sides with respect to time i get:

d/dt[V]= 2/3(Pi)(r)*(dh/dt) ---> dV/dt= 2/3(pi)(r)(dh/dt)
No, as I said above, you you have to use the product rule. Remember that the cone formed by the water always has the ratio of r to h that the filter has. Are you given the height and radius of the filter cone in the problem?

dh/dt= 3/(2(pi)(r))*(dV/dt)

dh/dt= 3/(2(pi)(r))*(10in^3/min)

30/2(pi)r = 15/(pi)(r) in^3/min

p.s. this is really getting frustrating. if calc 1 is throwing me curveballs like this that i can't solve, my quest to be a mechanical engineer seams very bleak.

You need to know the ratio of radius to height of the original filter cone and you haven't given that here.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I calculate the related rates for a conical volume?

To calculate related rates for a conical volume, you will need to use the formula V = (1/3)πr²h, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the cone. Then, take the derivative of both sides of the formula with respect to time to find the related rates.

2. Can I use the same formula for cylindrical volume to calculate related rates?

Yes, you can use the same formula V = πr²h for cylindrical volume to calculate related rates. This formula also requires you to take the derivative of both sides with respect to time to find the related rates.

3. What are the units for related rates?

The units for related rates will depend on the units used for the variables in the formula. For example, if the radius is measured in meters and the height in centimeters, the related rates will have units of cubic meters per second.

4. How do I know which variables to use in the related rates formula?

The variables used in the related rates formula will depend on the specific problem you are trying to solve. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem to determine which variables are relevant and should be included in the formula.

5. Can I use the related rates formula for other shapes besides cones and cylinders?

Yes, you can use the related rates formula for other shapes as long as you have the appropriate volume formula for that shape. For example, you can use the formula V = (4/3)πr³ for a sphere to calculate related rates for a changing volume.