How Does Beat Frequency Help Tune a Violin to Concert A?

In summary, the violinist was tuning her instrument to concert A (440 Hz) and heard a beat frequency of 3Hz when she played the note and listened to an electronically generated tone of the same frequency. When she tightened her violin string slightly, the beat frequency increased to 4Hz. To perfectly tune her violin to concert A, she should loosen her string from the frequency of 443Hz when she heard the 3Hz beat. There was a typo in the solution of 433Hz.
waterfolwer

Homework Statement

A violinist is tuning her instrument to concert A (440 Hz). she plays the note while listening to an electronically generated tone of exactly that frequency and hears a beat frequency 3Hz, which increases to 4Hz when she tightens her violin string slightly. (a) what was the frequency of her violin when she heard the 3Hz beat? (b) to get her violin perfectly tuned to concert A, should she tighten or loosen her string from what it was when she heard the 3Hz beat?

Homework Equations

f beat= f1-f2

The Attempt at a Solution

F2= fbeat+f1 F2= 3Hz + 440Hz F2= 443Hz

The teacher has posted the solution to be 433Hz. Did he just make a typo, or am I doing something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Typo. Obvious typo.

part b is confusing me. I would think that you would loosen the tension which would slow down the velocity which would reduce the frequency?

I would agree with you. Why would you doubt it? I think the key word here is 'slightly'.

What is tuning a violin?

Tuning a violin refers to adjusting the pitch of each string on the instrument to match a specific note or frequency. This process is essential for producing clear and accurate sounds while playing the violin.

Why do I need to tune my violin?

Violin strings can stretch and change in pitch due to temperature, humidity, and regular use. Tuning ensures that each string is at the correct tension to produce the desired notes and maintain the overall sound quality of the instrument.

What are beats in tuning a violin?

Beats occur when two notes that are slightly out of tune are played together. This creates a pulsating sound, or "beating," which can be heard by the human ear. Using this phenomenon, musicians can fine-tune their instruments by adjusting the strings until the beats disappear.

How do I tune my violin using beats?

To tune a violin using beats, first, tune the A string to a reference pitch, such as a tuning fork or a piano. Then, play the A and D strings together and listen for beats. If there are beats, adjust the D string's tension until the beats disappear. Repeat this process for the other strings, using the previous string as a reference pitch.

How often should I tune my violin?

It is recommended to tune your violin before every practice or performance. However, the frequency of tuning can also depend on factors such as the climate and how often you play. It is always best to tune your violin whenever you notice a change in the sound or pitch.