ZapperZ's Great Outdoors Photo Contest

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary: Those are great! The first one is my favorite-pure snow with a perfect sky.This shot is not of the caliber of many here, but I needed to get out and capture some fall colors today. This is a pair of apple trees at a scenic overlook dedicated to the Old Canada Road.
For Andre- cheers!
[PLAIN]http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/7487/montagegj.jpg [Broken](1/3 size, nasty jpeg compression artifacts, no green flash here, either)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Andy Resnick said:
For Andre- cheers!

(1/3 size, nasty jpeg compression artifacts, no green flash here, either)

oops- I meant 1/30 scale. Here's a 1:1 crop of the final frame-

[PLAIN]http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/9158/dsc93001.jpg [Broken]

Milky Way:
[PLAIN]http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/9995/resultofdsc9559.jpg [Broken]

I took 6 or so 10 minute exposures with the 15mm, wide open ISO 100, and added them together. A couple Air Force fellows have been flying all night; you can see them here (50% scale) as the red dots:

[PLAIN]http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/464/resultofdsc95592.jpg [Broken]

Another great night- the clouds moved off right after sunset, and a thunderstorm stayed right off the coast:

Milky Way:
[PLAIN]http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/9127/dsc9867y.jpg [Broken]

Thunderstorm (thanks to KrisOhn for the idea)

[PLAIN]http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1363/dsc9883x.jpg [Broken]

[PLAIN]http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/6933/dsc9884x.jpg [Broken]

Hey, c'mon.

I'm a science nerd.

What does the term "outdoors" mean?

Since there a few of us trying astrophotography, I thought I'd share how I turned this image:

[PLAIN]http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/8072/beforehy.jpg [Broken]

into this:

[PLAIN]http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/4625/afterja.jpg [Broken]

The original image is a jpg straight off the camera, and was taken at ISO 1600 for 3 s (IIRC, I don't have the EXIF handy)- there's some contrast, but there's also a high background and a lot of noise from the ISO setting.

First, I split the colors into individual images, giving me 3 8-bit greyscale images, which I then converted to 16-bit images. This means I now have access to an additional 65280 grey levels by amplifying the signal. To maximize the new dynamic range, I squared the grey values of all the pixels. As opposed to simply multiplying by a constant, squaring the values increases the contrast. The next step is to reassemble the color image, but the images must first be converted back to an 8-bit image. My program (ImageJ) simply uses whatever 8-bits are being displayed, and provides a control window to allow me to adjust the brightness and contrast of the displayed image. Then, when I convert the image to 8 bits, the program replaces the actual 16-bit value with the displayed 8-bit value. Simply color combine the images and you're done.

WOW, Andy! That's fantastic!

Dembadon said:
WOW, Andy! That's fantastic!

sourlemon said:
andy, your pictures are awesome! I really like your editing.

Thanks! I'm teaching myself photo-editing, and heve been trying a *lot* of different methods (most of which don't do anything substantial) so hopefully I can save someone else the time and frustration.

Lucky shot of the ISS tonight- I over-exposed all the other attempts (everything happens too fast to adjust on the fly- I accidentally set the exposure on a much fainter star) but got this one just as the station entered the Earth's shadow (which accounts for the reddish hue). At least there's no motion blur.

[PLAIN]http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/4199/dsc0174pc.jpg [Broken]

Image specs: 400mm f/2.8, 1/160 s, ISO 1600.

Get a grip!

Andy Resnick said:
Since there a few of us trying astrophotography, I thought I'd share how I turned this image:...

Wow, that is awesome. I've been trying to do some astrophotography lately but I just can't seem to find the time.

What camera/lens was used to take those shots?

Astronuc said:
Get a grip!
After watching Alex Hannold free solo the half dome in three hours, overcoming his fear at one point, and observing his quiet unpretentious demeanor, I have no doubt he could easily fire walk and face any other extreme challenge of his choosing. Amazing, he is so calm, Chris Sharma may have him for inverted tech aid climbing and for sheer force of will Reinhold Messner's solo of Mount Everest stands unmatched to this day, but this young man is in another category altogether. Thanks Astro, interesting to watch, reflect, and comment on.

Rhody... :cool:

Topher925 said:
Wow, that is awesome. I've been trying to do some astrophotography lately but I just can't seem to find the time.

What camera/lens was used to take those shots?

That one was taken with an 85mm f/1.4 lens, wide open for 5s, ISO 400. Here's a 1:1 crop showing the trails and a visitor:

[PLAIN]http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/9503/dsc0062ak.jpg [Broken]

Orion (M43) is coming into view now, so I hope to get a few good shots over the next few months. If I lived somewhere with less light pollution I'd probably turn into a vampire... :)

Anyway, back down to outdoors Earth

Finally took some time to assemble the panorama shot I made on a hike last month.

It's 5 regular shots taken in portrait format at 18mm, sewed together.

28u0daw.jpg

It's "Etang rond", the remains of a cirque glacier at the Mont Vallier in the Pyrenees, elevation of spot where the picture is taken about 2100 meters.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22026080/Panorama%20mt-vallier.JPG [Broken] is a (much) larger version.

That reminded me... I have some stitched panoramas from Croatia, I still plan to post vacation pictures one day.

Tor-panorama-thumbnail.jpg

and the huge version (you have been warned, 5MB). This is Jelsa on Hvar island, as seen from Tor - old tower, built somewhere in 4th century B.C. (although I have heard also a version stating it was built in 16th century). This is almost 360 deg.

Nice Borek

meanwhile, I did some post processing on the RAW's and dropped an original size result http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22026080/Panorama%204.JPG [Broken]. It's the biggest picture I made so far 11067 x 5789 pixels. Warning too: 16,219 kb

Tor panorama that I posted is originally twice wider (26156 pixels), I just cut down on the size.

Not that you miss much - original is not sharp enough to justify the size :grumpy: Obviously my way of taking pictures doesn't work with EOS 7D autofocus. Perhaps in automatic modes it tends to focus on close objects, and infinity is out of focus. Alternatively, something bad happened to the lens, or it needs microadjusting. I need to do some testing.

Borek said:
Tor panorama that I posted is originally twice wider, I just cut down on the resolution.

Not that you miss much - original is not sharp enough to justify the size :grumpy: Obviously my way of taking pictures doesn't work with EOS 7D autofocus. Perhaps in automatic modes it tends to focus on close objects, and infinity is out of focus. Alternatively, something bad happened to the lens, or it needs microadjusting. I need to do some testing.
Probably need to stop down for DOF/sharpness and keep the exposure time (manually) about average what you'll need for the panorama.

turbo said:
Probably need to stop down for DOF/sharpness and keep the exposure time (manually) about average what you'll need for the panorama.

Not so easy. At 24 mm and 8 DOF shouldn't be a problem, as hyperfocal distance is around 4 meters (say 12 feet). Exposure 1/100th, lens with stabilization, so chances of picture being shaken are minimal as well, besides, it would happen on some pictures only - but there is a systematical problem with all pictures. First plan is perfect, but infinity is not.

I need to investigate.

Borek said:
Not so easy. At 24 mm and 8 DOF shouldn't be a problem, as hyperfocal distance is around 4 meters (say 12 feet). Exposure 1/100th, lens with stabilization, so chances of picture being shaken are minimal as well, besides, it would happen on some pictures only - but there is a systematical problem with all pictures. First plan is perfect, but infinity is not.
I have read that using image stabilization when using a tripod can have unintended effects, but maybe that was for my 100-400. Wide-angle lenses should have less of that kind of problem.

Edit: Please post what you find out. I have not had great luck with panoramas, though my gear is pretty good.

That was without tripod, I had already a lot of gear to carry and it was hot.

I am not using IS when using tripod (that is, unless I forget to switch it off). Especially when shooting movies - picture floats to sides, slowly in one direction, than back and again.

Did you micro adjust the lens? Which lens is it anyway?

I micro adjusted the lenses on infinity, the 18-55mm is on +5

EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, not microadjusted - that can be a problem. I have to try to take pictures focusing in live view mode, microadjusting doesn't matter then.

Still, I don't think small error should matter with a large DOF.

Borek said:

turbo said:
Edit: Please post what you find out. I have not had great luck with panoramas, though my gear is pretty good.

I'm not sure what the original problem is (the posted image looks great!), but I'd be interested in any results. I also have a hard time with panoramas using wide-angle lenses, but I assumed it was because I don't rotate about the nodal point.

Edit: oopsy, I meant 'entrance pupil' instead of 'nodal point'- here's a good discussion:

ttp://www.janrik.net/PanoPostings/NoParallaxPoint/TheoryOfTheNoParallaxPoint.pdf

Last edited:
Andre said:

Finally took some time to assemble the panorama shot I made on a hike last month.

Very nice! Are you using a stock Canon program to stitch the images?

I am using Hugin.

But the problem is not with panorama, problem is with (almost) every single picture I took :grumpy:

Andre said:

It's "Etang rond", the remains of a cirque glacier at the Mont Vallier in the Pyrenees, elevation of spot where the picture is taken about 2100 meters.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22026080/Panorama%20mt-vallier.JPG [Broken] is a (much) larger version.
Nice picture as always Andre. I have a bunch to go through from my vacation but here's one.
7108reduced.jpg

That's a cold place for a summmer holiday, Borg, but a really nice pic.

Borek, It looks like you may indeed have problems with your lens, which can't be micro adjusted. If it clearly underperforms compared to the 100mm L then maybe contact the manufacturer.

Andy, I'm using Panorama maker 4 of Arcsoft that came with the Panasonic TZ7, which is miles ahead imo compared to the custom software of Canon. Almost fully automatic and I never had to tweak anything.

Turbo, For a good panorama, make sure to have all shots totally manual, all with the same ISO, white balance, aperture, shutter, and focal distance and take a wide overlap, like 1/3 of a frame, keeping the camera perfectly level. A tripod seems mandatory, however, bringing one would have been very impractical during that hike. Moreover, the narrow trail on the steep rock would not even give room for a tripod, so I did it free hand, using the built in artificial horizon.

Last edited:
Borek said:
I am using Hugin.

Andre said:
Andy, I'm using Panorama maker 4 of Arcsoft that came with the Panasonic TZ7, which is miles ahead imo compared to the custom software of Canon. Almost fully automatic and I never had to tweak anything.

I should put up a pic showing my problem- if I have a chance today I'll put it up. Basically, when I use a short lens, perspective error makes successive images totally un-match-up-able. That is, lines that are parallel in one image are highly converging/diverging in the next. I guess one solution is to simply use a longer lens and take more images...?

Andy Resnick said:
I should put up a pic showing my problem- if I have a chance today I'll put it up. Basically, when I use a short lens, perspective error makes successive images totally un-match-up-able. That is, lines that are parallel in one image are highly converging/diverging in the next. I guess one solution is to simply use a longer lens and take more images...?

Sure go ahead.

For solutions, these are thumbnails of the 6 original shots, made with 18 mm moderate wide angle. 29mm equivalent on a full frame SLR. I used RAW so I could correct the lens errors before stitching

zwi0z8.jpg

See the ample overlap to minimize distortion errors

<h2>1. What is "ZapperZ's Great Outdoors Photo Contest"?</h2><p>"ZapperZ's Great Outdoors Photo Contest" is an annual photography competition that celebrates the beauty of nature and the great outdoors. It is open to all photographers, both amateur and professional, and encourages participants to capture stunning images of landscapes, wildlife, and outdoor activities.</p><h2>2. How can I enter the contest?</h2><p>To enter the contest, simply submit your photos through the designated entry form on the official website. You can submit up to five photos per person, and all entries must be original and taken by the participant.</p><h2>3. What are the judging criteria for the contest?</h2><p>The photos will be judged based on their creativity, composition, technical excellence, and overall impact. The judges will also consider how well the photos capture the theme of the contest, which is the great outdoors.</p><h2>4. Are there any prizes for the winners?</h2><p>Yes, there are prizes for the top three winners of the contest. The first-place winner will receive a cash prize, while the second and third-place winners will receive gift cards and other outdoor photography-related prizes.</p><h2>5. Can I use photo editing software on my entries?</h2><p>Minor adjustments such as cropping and color correction are allowed, but any major alterations or use of filters will result in disqualification. The judges are looking for natural and authentic photos that accurately represent the beauty of the great outdoors.</p>

1. What is "ZapperZ's Great Outdoors Photo Contest"?

"ZapperZ's Great Outdoors Photo Contest" is an annual photography competition that celebrates the beauty of nature and the great outdoors. It is open to all photographers, both amateur and professional, and encourages participants to capture stunning images of landscapes, wildlife, and outdoor activities.

2. How can I enter the contest?

To enter the contest, simply submit your photos through the designated entry form on the official website. You can submit up to five photos per person, and all entries must be original and taken by the participant.

3. What are the judging criteria for the contest?

The photos will be judged based on their creativity, composition, technical excellence, and overall impact. The judges will also consider how well the photos capture the theme of the contest, which is the great outdoors.

4. Are there any prizes for the winners?

Yes, there are prizes for the top three winners of the contest. The first-place winner will receive a cash prize, while the second and third-place winners will receive gift cards and other outdoor photography-related prizes.

5. Can I use photo editing software on my entries?

Minor adjustments such as cropping and color correction are allowed, but any major alterations or use of filters will result in disqualification. The judges are looking for natural and authentic photos that accurately represent the beauty of the great outdoors.