How can I build a tilt sensor with high sensitivity and accuracy?

• Thread starter hollymolly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tilt
In summary, the conversation is about building a tilt sensor for gravity experiments. The speaker is looking for ideas on how to build one without spending a lot of money. The possibility of using an electrolytic tilt sensor or a combination of a pendulum and electronic micrometer is mentioned, with additional resources provided for more information. The use of op-amps and digitization is also suggested.
hollymolly
Hi all!

I'm working on some gravity expiraments with my professor and he's put me on the task of building a tilt sensor (to measure at any given time the tilt of the foundation with the center of the earth).

I've been looking for schematics online, but I haven't had a ton of luck unless I want to drop some serious cash. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to build one of these things?

So far he and I have been talking about a capacitor based one, but I don't know that I'll be able to create something with the sensitivity that we need.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can use an electrolytic tilt sensor. These sensors work by having a capsule filled with conductive fluid. Inside the capsule, there are electrodes. The conductivity between the electrodes is proportional to how much the electrodes are immersed in the conductive fluid. There is more to it than this. You get more info from here:
http://www.sensorsmag.com/articles/0500/120/main.shtml [Broken]

What you do with the output of the sensor is up to you. You may choose to digitize your signal or just do some creative things with some op-amps. Here is a circuit that does the former:
http://www.edn.com/archives/1997/042497/09di_03.htm#Figure 1

Last edited by a moderator:
One idea that comes to mind is to use a comination of lightly damped pendulum and an electronic micrometer. You'd need to research how electronic micrometers achieve such high accuracy and precision, and make a similar device that you attach to your pendulum. Ideally, you could make the multi-pattern part that attaches to the pendulm in an arc, and make your electronic sensors stationary.

The electronic versions are discussed at this into wikipedia.org page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliper

What is a tilt sensor/inclinometer?

A tilt sensor, also known as an inclinometer, is a sensor used to measure the tilt or inclination of an object with respect to the earth's surface. It works by sensing changes in the gravitational pull and can provide information about the angle, direction, and magnitude of the tilt.

How does a tilt sensor/inclinometer work?

A tilt sensor/inclinometer typically contains a small ball or weight that moves in response to changes in the gravitational pull. This movement is then converted into an electrical signal that can be measured and interpreted by the sensor. Some tilt sensors also use gyroscopic technology to measure changes in orientation.

What are the applications of tilt sensors/inclinometers?

Tilt sensors/inclinometers have a wide range of applications in industries such as aerospace, automotive, construction, and robotics. They can be used to monitor the stability of structures, measure the angle of a vehicle or machine, and assist in navigation and control systems.

What are the types of tilt sensors/inclinometers?

There are several types of tilt sensors/inclinometers, including digital, analog, and MEMS (microelectromechanical systems) sensors. Digital sensors provide a binary output, while analog sensors provide a continuous output. MEMS sensors are the most common and use microfabricated structures to measure tilt and acceleration.

What are the advantages of using a tilt sensor/inclinometer?

Tilt sensors/inclinometers offer several advantages, including high accuracy, sensitivity, and reliability. They are also compact, lightweight, and cost-effective. In addition, they can operate in harsh environments and provide real-time measurements, making them useful in a variety of applications.