Work and change in kinetic energy

In summary, the net work done on an object is the change in kinetic energy minus the change in potential energy.
MIA6
I know that the net work = the change in kinetic energy, delta KE. But what if the object has both the potential energy and kinetic energy, for example, a falling object, then how can I find out the work done on the object at a particular point? Still the change in KE ignore PE?
Also, I know the external work = the change in potential enery, delta PE. It happens in a lifting a brick, but Is that the net work? What's the difference? In addition, work done by gravity= -delta PE. If I am asked to find out the net work, should I plus together the external work and work done by gravity? In this lifting case, is there a kinetic energy? Can I find out the net work by using change in KE? I am confused with some concepts, hope you can help. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
what problem is this for?

no. there is no problem for this. I am just asking since I read the concepts in the book, but I have confusion.

The net work done by all forces acting on an object equals the change in the object's kinetic energy:

[tex]W_{net} = \Delta KE[/tex]

Forces can be either conservative (that is, they have a potential energy associated with them) or non-conservative (that is, they don't have a potential energy associated with them). Therefore we can split the net work done by all forces into two parts correspondingly:

[tex]W_{net}^{(c)} + W_{net}^{(nc)} = \Delta KE[/tex]

The work done by a conservative force equals the negative of the change in the potential energy associated with that force. (This is the definition of potential energy.) Adding up the effects of all the conservative forces:

[tex]W_{net}^{(c)} = - \Delta PE[/tex]

Therefore the net work done by the non-conservative forces equals the change in the object's mechanical energy (sum of kinetic and potential energies):

[tex]W_{net}^{(nc)} = \Delta (KE+PE)[/tex]

jtbell said:
The net work done by all forces acting on an object equals the change in the object's kinetic energy:

[tex]W_{net} = \Delta KE[/tex]

Forces can be either conservative (that is, they have a potential energy associated with them) or non-conservative (that is, they don't have a potential energy associated with them). Therefore we can split the net work done by all forces into two parts correspondingly:

[tex]W_{net}^{(c)} + W_{net}^{(nc)} = \Delta KE[/tex]

The work done by a conservative force equals the negative of the change in the potential energy associated with that force. (This is the definition of potential energy.) Adding up the effects of all the conservative forces:

[tex]W_{net}^{(c)} = - \Delta PE[/tex]

Therefore the net work done by the non-conservative forces equals the change in the object's mechanical energy (sum of kinetic and potential energies):

[tex]W_{net}^{(nc)} = \Delta (KE+PE)[/tex]

thanks. If there is no non-conservative force in the system, then Wcnet=delta KE, then since Wcnet=-deltaPE, so now -deltaPE=delataKE? Either one works for the net work? Btw, as I said before, external work = the change in potential enery, delta PE. In addition, work done by gravity= -delta PE. One is positive delta PE, the other one is negative delta PE, why here Wcnet=-PE? Why we want the negative PE, but the positive one? because we want gravitational potential energy? acted by gravity?

Wexternal=delta PE, Wgravity=-delta PE. On my book, it says the change in potential energy associated with a particular force is equal to the negative of the work done by that force if the object is moved from one point to a second point. I think it indicates Wgravity=-deltaPE, but why must a change in potential energy relates to negative work done by a force not a positive work as in the external force's case?

MIA6 said:
I know that the net work = the change in kinetic energy, delta KE. But what if the object has both the potential energy and kinetic energy, for example, a falling object, then how can I find out the work done on the object at a particular point? Still the change in KE ignore PE?
Also, I know the external work = the change in potential enery, delta PE. It happens in a lifting a brick, but Is that the net work? What's the difference? In addition, work done by gravity= -delta PE. If I am asked to find out the net work, should I plus together the external work and work done by gravity? In this lifting case, is there a kinetic energy? Can I find out the net work by using change in KE? I am confused with some concepts, hope you can help. thanks.

You can draw a diagram showing 3 states - initial, falling and final. In the initial state, the object has maximum PE and zero KE since it's stationary. When it's in the falling state, maximum PE is slowly being converted into some KE. In the final state, assume the object stops upon hitting the ground, then all of its PE is converted into maximum KE just before it hits the ground.

thiotimoline said:
You can draw a diagram showing 3 states - initial, falling and final. In the initial state, the object has maximum PE and zero KE since it's stationary. When it's in the falling state, maximum PE is slowly being converted into some KE. In the final state, assume the object stops upon hitting the ground, then all of its PE is converted into maximum KE just before it hits the ground.

I know. BUt how do you find the Net work/total work? Use delta KE? BTw, in the example that you were talking about, is there any work done by external force? like what does it really mean by external force? ex. a spring connected to a block, find the work done on the block. Then is there an external force? Why the block's energy changes so that I can not use the conservation of energy? I am seriously confused with external work delta PE or the work done by gravity -delta PE and net work?

Last edited:

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on an object's mass and velocity, and can be calculated using the equation KE = 1/2mv^2.

What is work?

Work is the transfer of energy from one object to another. In the context of kinetic energy, work is done when a force is applied to an object, causing it to move and gain kinetic energy.

How does work affect kinetic energy?

When work is done on an object, it gains kinetic energy. This can be seen through the work-energy theorem, which states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.

What factors can cause a change in kinetic energy?

The main factors that can cause a change in kinetic energy are mass and velocity. An increase in either of these factors will result in an increase in kinetic energy, while a decrease will result in a decrease in kinetic energy.

Can kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as potential energy or thermal energy. This conversion often occurs through work being done on the object, causing a change in its energy form.