How do you define a mathematical gifted person?

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter racer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematical
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition and measurement of mathematical giftedness. Some opinions are shared, including the idea that a gifted person has a slow, deep intuitive sense and the mention of a test for giftedness. There is also a debate about whether physicists or mathematicians are more gifted and a joke about "nerd sniping."
racer
Hello there

How do you define a mathematical gifted person? Is it a person who solves
everything in math? How do you measure someone's giftness? I know some
math geniuses and I was amazed how they can think and how far they go but
sometimes I solve things they try to solve but couldn't which really made me think of that.

Anyone has an opinion on that?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Someone with a slow, deep intuitive sense. I have read a mathematician being described as "someone with an inherently lazy mind."

I object to the fact that physicists are one point less than mathematicians. :grumpy:

Kurdt said:
I object to the fact that physicists are one point less than mathematicians. :grumpy:
bwahahahaha

This brings up the question of whether "nerd sniping" is considered murder or no?

Kurdt said:

As someone who's both I say it makes sense, because physicists are easier targets. The mathematician in me wanted to go find pencil and paper to find a general form of the answer.

Dammit, what is the equivalent resistance...

1. What is the definition of a mathematical gifted person?

A mathematical gifted person is someone who possesses exceptional abilities and aptitude in the field of mathematics. They have a natural talent for understanding complex mathematical concepts and can easily solve problems that would be challenging for others.

2. How do you identify a mathematical gifted person?

A mathematical gifted person can be identified by their high level of mathematical reasoning and problem-solving skills. They often excel in math classes and may exhibit an early interest in numbers and patterns. Standardized tests and teacher evaluations can also help identify a mathematical gifted person.

3. Can a person become mathematically gifted or is it innate?

While some people may have a natural predisposition towards mathematics, it is possible for anyone to develop mathematical giftedness through practice and effort. However, individuals with a strong innate ability may have an easier time mastering complex mathematical concepts.

4. Is there a specific age range for mathematical giftedness?

There is no specific age range for mathematical giftedness. Some individuals may show signs of mathematical giftedness at a young age, while others may not exhibit these abilities until later in life. It is important to nurture and support mathematical abilities at any age.

5. How can mathematical giftedness be fostered and nurtured?

Mathematical giftedness can be fostered and nurtured through challenging and engaging math activities, such as puzzles, games, and real-life problem-solving. It is also important to provide support and encouragement, as well as access to resources and opportunities for further development.