Examining Amino Acid Sequences of Lysine, Alanine, etc. - Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter Soley101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid
In summary, The conversation discusses examining amino acid sequences for a list of proteins and determining the corresponding tRNA, mRNA, and DNA nucleotides. The speaker also asks for steps to do one amino acid and clarifies confusion about lysine being a protein or amino acid.
Soley101
I have to examine the amino acid sequences of a segment of each of the following proteins: lysine, alanine, leucine, arginine, isoleucine, proline, glycine, histidine, and serine. Provide, in order, a list of the following potential components.
a. tRNA nucleotides (in the anticodon loop) that code for this protein segment
b. mRNA nucleotides that code for this protein segment
c. DNA nucleotides that code for this protein segment

If it is within your knowledge, could someone show me the steps to do one of the amino acids and i am hoping the parts a,b,c will provide an outline for the rest. This is an alternative assignment so i don't think my teacher knew how difficult this part was :s

the basic steps would be very nice, like when to insert a u instead of a t, i think that is step b myself...in the mean time i am going to attempt to find the amino acid sequences for those proteins, i hope someone can give me a hand.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you having trouble understanding how proteins are coded in DNA or how DNA is transformed into mRNA and tRNA?

well i understand it now. what through me off is that the assignment said that lysine was a protein...but it was an amino acids. i already know how to change aminoa acids into trna, mrna, or dna...thanks

Soley101 said:
well i understand it now. what through me off is that the assignment said that lysine was a protein...but it was an amino acids. i already know how to change aminoa acids into trna, mrna, or dna...thanks

If your assignment was worded exactly as above, it was not saying lysine is a protein. It was saying the protein consisted of that sequence of amino acids.

1. What is the purpose of examining amino acid sequences?

The purpose of examining amino acid sequences is to study the structure and function of proteins. Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins, and the specific sequence of amino acids determines the shape and function of a protein.

2. How do you determine the sequence of amino acids in a protein?

The sequence of amino acids in a protein can be determined through various methods, such as protein sequencing techniques or using databases that contain known protein sequences. One common method is to use mass spectrometry, which identifies the mass of each amino acid and can determine their sequence.

3. What is the importance of lysine and alanine in amino acid sequences?

Lysine and alanine are both essential amino acids, meaning that they cannot be produced by the body and must be obtained through diet. Lysine is crucial for protein synthesis and plays a role in immune function, while alanine is important for energy production and maintaining blood sugar levels.

4. How do you analyze amino acid sequences?

Amino acid sequences can be analyzed using various bioinformatics tools and software. This involves comparing the sequence to known databases and using algorithms to predict the structure and function of the protein. Physical and chemical properties of the amino acids can also be analyzed to understand their role in the protein.

5. What are some potential applications of examining amino acid sequences?

Studying amino acid sequences has many potential applications in fields such as medicine, biotechnology, and agriculture. It can help in understanding the structure and function of proteins, identifying genetic disorders, developing new drugs, and improving crop yields. It also plays a crucial role in protein engineering and the production of recombinant proteins.