Velocity as a function of force/impulse/time.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a force vs time diagram and a 1.5 kg object. The goal is to find the impulse of the force, as well as the final velocity of the object under different initial conditions. The equations V^{2} = V_{0}^{2} + 2a\Deltax and impulse = change in momentum are used to solve the problem. The correct answer is v = 5.3, but the initial attempt yields v = 3.65. Reference material is also provided for future use.
the7joker7

Homework Statement

The force shown in the force vs time diagram in Figure P6.11 acts on a 1.5 kg object. Find the impulse of the force, the final velocity of the object if it is initially at rest, and the final velocity if initial velocity is -2.00 m/s.

http://books.google.com/books?id=wD...x_cOMU0&sig=cqAzhugYbnZdpBwdwDdlRM82s1g&hl=en

Homework Equations

V[tex]^{2}[/tex] = V[tex]_{0}[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex] + 2a[tex]\Delta[/tex]x

The Attempt at a Solution

I know impulse is just 8 Newton seconds, and i know that's the right answer. But the 2nd question is getting me.

V[tex]^{2}[/tex] = 0 + 2(2/1.5)(5) gives V[tex]^{2}[/tex] = 13.33. so v = 3.65.

But the answer is v = 5.3.

Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
the7joker7 said:

Homework Equations

V[tex]^{2}[/tex] = V[tex]_{0}[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex] + 2a[tex]\Delta[/tex]x
This is when accn is const, which here it's not.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know impulse is just 8 Newton seconds, and i know that's the right answer. But the 2nd question is getting me.

V[tex]^{2}[/tex] = 0 + 2(2/1.5)(5) gives V[tex]^{2}[/tex] = 13.33. so v = 3.65.

But the answer is v = 5.3.

Where did I go wrong?

Use impulse = change in momentum.

1. What is velocity as a function of force/impulse/time?

Velocity as a function of force/impulse/time refers to the relationship between an object's velocity and the force, impulse, and time applied to it. This relationship is described by the equation: velocity = (force/mass) * time + initial velocity.

2. How does force affect velocity?

Force has a direct effect on velocity, as seen in the equation mentioned above. The greater the force applied to an object, the greater its change in velocity will be.

3. What is the role of impulse in determining velocity?

Impulse is the product of force and time and represents the change in momentum of an object. In terms of velocity, impulse helps determine the final velocity of an object by adding to its initial velocity.

4. How can the time of application of a force affect velocity?

The longer the time of application of a force, the greater the change in velocity will be. This is because a longer duration of force allows for a greater impulse to be applied to the object, resulting in a greater change in velocity.

5. Is there a limit to how much force can affect velocity?

Yes, there is a limit to how much force can affect velocity. This limit is determined by the mass of the object. The greater the mass, the less the velocity will change for a given force. This is because a larger mass requires a greater force to produce the same change in velocity compared to a smaller mass.