Aqua Globes™: Self-Watering for Your Plants

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plants
In summary, Aqua Globes™ work by releasing oxygen into the globe as the soil becomes dry, which then releases the exact amount of water needed for the plant. However, based on personal experiences and reviews, it seems that they do not work effectively and are better used as decorative objects.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How Aqua Globes™ Work
As soil becomes dry, it releases oxygen into the Aqua Globe, which in turn releases the exact amount of water your plant needs.
https://www.buyaquaglobes.com/?cid=496736

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
:rofl: I actually thought they were pretty. :uhh: Really. I figured, eh, if they don't work, they'll be pretty in the pot with the dead plant. :biggrin:

(I've never had luck with similar attempts at homemade contraptions, such as inverted soda bottles...they usually just emptied as the water drained out of the bottom of the pot onto the floor.)

I bought one several years ago because I LOVE colored glass. Its decoration only! They don't work for crap. Once I even tried absolutely soaking the pot then sticking that thing in, and it drained all the water in a short time.

I'd only see this working if you stuck it in completely inverted, not at an angle, and in some fancy way so as to not break the surface tension of the water with the soil.

So yeah, if you know magic, it might work.

Ms Music said:
I bought one several years ago because I LOVE colored glass. Its decoration only! They don't work for crap. Once I even tried absolutely soaking the pot then sticking that thing in, and it drained all the water in a short time.

Yep, that's what I expected. I've seen them in store displays just placed in vases, which is pretty. If the website would let you choose which styles to order instead of telling you that you had to take luck of the draw basically, I would have gotten some just for decorative objects. They'd probably sell better as decoration than waterers anyway...like gazing balls. I have Christmas tree ornaments with similar types of blown glass designs, so that's what I was actually thinking of doing with them, making them ornaments. But Greg would tell me they're ugly. :frown:

I think they're pretty also, but I can't see them working like they say either.

1. How do Aqua Globes work?

Aqua Globes are self-watering plant bulbs that slowly release water into the soil as it dries out. The globe is inserted into the soil, and as the soil dries, air is drawn into the globe, creating a vacuum that pulls water from the globe and into the soil.

2. How often do I need to refill the Aqua Globes?

The frequency of refilling depends on the size of the plant and the climate it is in. Generally, you can expect to refill the Aqua Globes every 1-2 weeks. It is important to monitor the soil moisture and adjust the frequency of refilling accordingly.

3. Can I use Aqua Globes for all types of plants?

Aqua Globes can be used for most types of potted plants, including houseplants, outdoor plants, and herbs. However, it is not recommended for use with succulents or cacti, as these plants do not require frequent watering.

4. Do I need to clean the Aqua Globes?

It is recommended to clean the Aqua Globes every few months to prevent any buildup of dirt or debris. To clean, simply remove the globe from the soil, rinse it with water, and use a small brush to clean the opening.

5. Can I leave Aqua Globes in my plants while I am away on vacation?

Yes, Aqua Globes are a great solution for keeping your plants watered while you are away. However, it is always recommended to test the Aqua Globes with your plants before leaving for an extended period of time, to ensure they are releasing water at the appropriate rate.