Parentheses or brackets (US/UK terminology question)

In summary, the conversation discusses the different names used in the USA for the process of expanding algebraic expressions, specifically using the example of multiplying out the parentheses. Different terms such as "bracketing" and "multiplying out the brackets" are mentioned, but there does not seem to be a uniformity in terminology.
heth

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find out how people in the USA would refer to the following operations - i.e. what name would you give the process of doing something like this:

a(a + b) = a^2 + ab

(a + b)^2 = (a + b)(a + b) = a^2 + 2ab + b^2

Homework Equations

N/A.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a number of US physics books, but they don't cover algebra. All of my math(s) books are UK or international.I would call the above operation 'multiplying out the brackets', e.g.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/maths/algebra/symbolsrev4.shtml

But I believe that in the USA, () are called parentheses - so there must be different terminology for the operation as well? As I don't know what it is, I don't know what to search for using a search engine! So any light that can be shed on the subject would be gratefully received - thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought {} were parentheses.

madmike159 said:
I thought {} were parentheses.

No, "(" and ")" are "parentheses". "{" and "}" are braces.

But they are "multiplying out" whatever you want to call the symbols!

The computer algebra system Mathematica uses the term "Bracketing" in the following way:

Four kinds of bracketing:
(term) parenthesis for grouping
f[x] square brackets for functions
{a,b,c} curly braces for lists
v[] double brackets for indexing

Notice that "bracket" is used here as a specific and generic term.

I don't think you are going to find uniformity here.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll go with "multiplying out the parentheses".

1. What is the difference between parentheses and brackets?

Parentheses and brackets are both punctuation marks used to enclose additional information within a sentence. The main difference is that parentheses are curved and usually used for information that is less important, while brackets are straight and often used for information that is more important or clarifying. In US terminology, parentheses are also called "round brackets" and brackets are referred to as "square brackets".

2. When should I use parentheses or brackets in my writing?

Parentheses and brackets are used to add additional information or clarification to a sentence. They can also be used to enclose numbers or letters in a list or to indicate an abbreviation. It is generally a matter of style and personal preference, but parentheses are typically used for less important information and brackets for more important information or clarifications.

3. Can I use parentheses inside parentheses?

Yes, you can use parentheses inside parentheses to enclose information within a larger set of parentheses. This is known as nested parentheses. However, it is important to use them sparingly to avoid confusion or overly complex sentences.

4. Are parentheses and brackets used in the same way in the US and UK?

In general, the use of parentheses and brackets is the same in both US and UK English. However, there are some small differences in terminology. As mentioned before, in US English, parentheses are referred to as "round brackets" and brackets are called "square brackets". In UK English, parentheses are simply called "brackets" and brackets are referred to as "square brackets" or "box brackets".

5. Can I use parentheses or brackets to emphasize a word or phrase?

While both parentheses and brackets can be used for emphasis, it is generally not recommended as they are primarily used to enclose additional information or clarifications in a sentence. Instead, it is better to use italics, bold, or quotation marks for emphasis in writing.