Ionizing particles (alpha & beta)

In summary: Beta particles are just electrons with a bit more energy, so they would probably ionize the atom/molecule more easily than a photon. Gamma rays have a lot of energy so they would probably ionize more stuff than beta particles.
pfalk
I think I understand the impact that an alpha particle can have on living tissue.
Not having electrons in it valence it would be very reactive - stripping electrons from atoms or molecules it bumps into (assuming it made its way in a biotic host).

But how does a beta particle ionize an atom or molecule? If the target atom/molecule had a full valence wouldn't the beta particle just get deflected? And, if it were to join a full valence wouldn't it just knock another electron out, leaving the initial target atom/molecule unchanged?

Regarding gamma rays, how exactly do they interact with an atom/molecule? How does a photon ionize an atom/molecule?

Thanks again.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't really know, but I would guess that a [tex]\beta^-[/tex] particle (which is just an electron) can come with a lot of kinetic energy, so it would probably collide with another electron and transfer enough energy to that electron to escape the atom/molecule that it is bound to. If it doesn't have enough energy for that it would probably be absorbed by some molecule that is moderately stable, ionizing it. [tex]\beta^+[/tex] particles are positrons, and annihiliate with electrons releasing at least 2mc^2 = 1.022 MeV in energy in, probably gamma rays (which may go on to ionizing other stuff, as well as already having ionized something by annihilating an electron).

Gamma rays are very high energy (> 100 keV), if a gamma ray was absorbed by an electron it would certainly have enough energy to escape whatever bound state it was in, and would probably end up colliding with several other electrons and ionizing nearby molecules before it runs out of energy.

Energy and momentum (4-momenta) is transferred between charged particles due to the Coulomb interaction, which has infinite range. So we should not think of this as biliard balls colliding, but instead an incoming wave function interacting with the coulomb potentials that is generated by the atomic electrons and the atomic nucleus.

And if you know you scattering theory, you can calculate the probability for transfering an amount of energy that can excite and ionize and atom. And then calculate the accumulated effect, this is done in the Bethe-Bloch formula.

For charged particles also undergo radiative losses, due to the change in momentum vector (i.e acceleration), and this process leads to bremsstrahlung, since accelerated charge emits EM-waves (i.e. photons). This process is dominating over the ionization energy losses when we have light particles, i.e electrons.

Photons interact with matter with 3 processes; pair-production - compton scattering & Photoelectric effect. In the latter, the photon can be absorbed by the atomic electron and if the energy of the photon is higher than then ionization energy, the electron will leave the atom - i.e the atom becomes ionized.

1. What are ionizing particles?

Ionizing particles are subatomic particles, such as alpha and beta particles, that have enough energy to remove electrons from atoms, creating ions. These ions can then interact with other atoms and molecules, causing chemical reactions and potentially damaging biological cells.

2. How do alpha particles differ from beta particles?

Alpha particles are made up of two protons and two neutrons, and have a positive charge. They are relatively large and heavy, and can only travel a short distance before losing their energy. Beta particles, on the other hand, are much smaller and have a negative charge. They can travel further and penetrate materials more easily than alpha particles.

3. What are some sources of ionizing particles?

Ionizing particles can be naturally occurring, such as from radioactive elements in the earth's crust, or they can be man-made, such as in nuclear power plants or medical radiation treatments. Other sources include cosmic rays from outer space and certain types of lightning.

4. How can exposure to ionizing particles affect living organisms?

Ionizing particles have enough energy to break chemical bonds and damage biological cells. This can lead to mutations, cell death, and potentially harmful changes in DNA. High levels of exposure can also cause acute radiation sickness and increase the risk of developing cancer.

5. How can we protect ourselves from ionizing particles?

Exposure to ionizing particles can be reduced by limiting time spent in areas with high levels of radiation, using shielding materials to block particles, and following safety protocols and regulations in industries that handle radioactive materials. It is also important to use proper protective equipment, such as lead aprons and goggles, when working with ionizing particles.