Understanding Order in Sound Plots in Automotive Industry

• Thread starter CuriousWon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of "order" in sound plots in the automotive industry. The speaker explains that in most cases, the order refers to a multiple of the fundamental frequency, which in this case would be the engine speed. The order of the vibration is a good indicator of its source, with a first order being a common indication of a shaft imbalance. The speaker suggests a helpful website for more information on this topic.
CuriousWon
I work in the automotive industry and some of the products we make are resonators for engines. I always hear talk about "order" (2nd order, 4th order, etc) in sound plots. What are they referring too? Is there a good site out there that can give me the basics?

Physics news on Phys.org
It somewhat depends on the usage in your particular field. In most cases I have seen, the order refers to a multiple of a fundamental frequency. In your case that would probably be the once per rev engine speed. So a second order vibration would be a vibration with a frequency of 2X of engine speed. In the vibration analysis world, the order of the vibration is a first indicator of a source for the vibration. For example, a first order (or as I am used to saying, a 1E) is a very good indication of a shaft imbalance.

I found this page related to automotive engines that probably will give you what you need.

http://www.vibratesoftware.com/html_help/html/Diagnosis/Engine_Speed_Related.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

As a scientist in the field of automotive engineering, I am familiar with the concept of order in sound plots. In this context, "order" refers to the harmonic content of sound waves. Harmonics are multiples of the fundamental frequency of a sound wave, and they contribute to the overall quality and character of the sound. In the automotive industry, sound plots are used to analyze the acoustic performance of resonators and other components in the engine. These plots often include information about the order of the sound waves present.

For example, a 2nd order sound plot would indicate that the sound wave has a fundamental frequency and a harmonic at twice that frequency. A 4th order sound plot would have a fundamental frequency and three additional harmonics at 4, 6, and 8 times the fundamental frequency. The higher the order, the more harmonics present in the sound.

There are many resources available online that can provide a more in-depth explanation of order in sound plots. Some good starting points include websites and articles from academic institutions, automotive engineering organizations, and scientific journals. Additionally, your company may have internal resources or experts who can provide further information and guidance specific to your products and industry.

1. What is the purpose of sound plots in the automotive industry?

Sound plots in the automotive industry are used to visually represent the order of sounds produced by a vehicle's engine, exhaust, and other components. This helps engineers and designers understand the acoustic characteristics of the vehicle and make adjustments to improve its overall sound quality.

2. How are sound plots created in the automotive industry?

Sound plots are created by using specialized equipment, such as microphones and sound level meters, to measure and record the sound produced by a vehicle. The data is then plotted on a graph, with the y-axis representing sound pressure level and the x-axis representing frequency.

3. What factors affect the order of sounds in automotive sound plots?

The order of sounds in automotive sound plots can be affected by various factors such as engine design, exhaust system design, intake system design, and even the design of the vehicle's body. Other factors like temperature, humidity, and air pressure can also influence the sound characteristics of a vehicle.

4. How can understanding order in sound plots benefit the automotive industry?

Understanding order in sound plots can benefit the automotive industry in several ways. It can help engineers and designers identify and address any unwanted noise or vibration in a vehicle, leading to improved comfort and overall quality. It can also aid in the development of new and innovative sound design strategies for vehicles.

5. Are there any standards or regulations for sound plots in the automotive industry?

Yes, there are standards and regulations set by organizations such as the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) and the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) for the measurement and analysis of sound in vehicles. These standards ensure consistency and accuracy in the creation and interpretation of sound plots in the automotive industry.