Percent of sodium oxalate help

In summary, the problem involves finding the percent of sodium oxalate in a sample by using the amount of potassium permanganate required for complete reaction. The calculation involves finding the number of moles of permanganate and using this to determine the amount of sodium oxalate in grams. The final result is 13.95% sodium oxalate in the sample.
sami23
I have been suck on a problem for days:

We dissolve 3.778g of a sample that contains some sodium oxalate, Na_2C_2O_4, in water and acidify the solution with excess sulfuic acid. The sample requires 18.74 mL of 0.08395 M KMnO_4, potassium permanganate, for complete reaction according to the reaction below. What is the percent Na_2C_2O_4 in the sample? Assume that no other component reacts with the potassium permanganate.

8H_2SO_4 + 2KMnO_4 + 5Na_2C_2O_4 --> 8H_2O + 2MnSO_4 + 10CO_2 + 5Na_2SO_4 + K_2SO_4

---------------------------------------------------------
Now, I know the objective is to find %sodium oxalate by dividing (grams of sodium oxalate over 3.778 g of solution) times 100.

I know in one mole of sodium oxalate there's 133.996 g of sodium oxalate.

In order to find g of sodium oxalate:
(0.08395 M permanganate / 0.01874 L) * (5 mol sodium oxalate / 2 mol permanganate) * (133.996 g sodium oxalate / 1 mol sodium oxalate) but this gives me sodium oxalate/L

How do I find just the grams so I can plug that into my % formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
sami23 said:
(0.08395 M permanganate / 0.01874 L)

What are you trying to do here?

Since the sample requires 18.74 mL of 0.08395 potassium permanganate, I thought that's how it was related. I've omitted that part from my equation now.

You have to use these things to calculate number of moles of permanganate - but not dividing them...

So I found the moles of permanganate as 1.5732 x 10^-3 by multiplying 0.08395M and 0.0187 L. Then I got my sodium oxilate grams as 0.52701 g. I plugged that to my % formula and got 13.95%. I hope I did it correct. Seems reasonable to me.

Seems OK. I got 0.5269g, but that's most likely because of the difference in molar masses used.

Thanks so much!

1. What is sodium oxalate and why is it important to measure its percentage?

Sodium oxalate is a chemical compound that is commonly used as a reagent in various scientific experiments. Its percentage is important because it can affect the accuracy and reliability of experimental results.

2. How is the percentage of sodium oxalate determined?

The percentage of sodium oxalate can be determined through various analytical techniques such as titration, spectrophotometry, or gravimetric analysis. These methods involve measuring the amount of sodium oxalate present in a given sample and calculating its percentage based on the total weight of the sample.

3. What factors can affect the percentage of sodium oxalate in a sample?

The purity of the sodium oxalate reagent, the accuracy of the measuring instruments used, and human error are some factors that can affect the percentage of sodium oxalate in a sample. It is important to use high-quality reagents and precise measuring techniques to obtain reliable results.

4. Can the percentage of sodium oxalate be converted into other units of measurement?

Yes, the percentage of sodium oxalate can be converted into other units of measurement such as molarity or mass. This can be done by using the molecular weight of sodium oxalate and converting the percentage into moles or grams.

5. How can knowing the percentage of sodium oxalate be useful?

Knowing the percentage of sodium oxalate can be useful in many scientific applications, such as determining the concentration of a solution, calculating reaction rates, and ensuring the accuracy of experimental results. It can also help in quality control and ensuring the proper use of the reagent in various experiments.