No Body, No Problem: Can a Head Survive?

• Medical
  • Thread starter bassplayer142
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of sustaining life for a person who has lost their head. While it is not currently possible with present technology, it is speculated that duplicating the necessary conditions from the rest of the body could potentially keep the head alive. However, there are ethical implications to consider and this idea has been explored in science fiction, such as the film "The Brain That Wouldn't Die." Some suggest that it may be possible in the future to transfer thoughts onto artificial circuits to preserve an individual's mental existence. It is also mentioned that Walt Disney's head is cryogenically frozen.
bassplayer142
This may be an absurd question partially due to the fact that I don't know a lot about biology. But is it possible to sustain life for a person who lost his head. What I mean, is a machine that pumps blood and supplies the head with everything it needs to keep surviving. From the top of my head, I can only thing of blood and information from the nervous system as being an input to the head from the body.

Biology news on Phys.org
I don't think with present technology we can interface a head to a machine. But if you duplicate the necessary conditions as provided by rest of the body, then I don't see why not.

The brain (medulla oblongata) controls blood pressure, respirations and heartbeat, for example. The headless body will not survive long.

Keeping bodies alive when there is absolutely no way to "wake them" violates medical ethics, anyway.

Brain-death means dead.

I think bassplayer is asking if a head can be kept alive, not the body.

There is an old scifi classic that played with this idea: The Brain That Wouldn't Die. Now public domain.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6660611491774828467

That movie scared the bejeesuz out of me when I was a kid. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I did mean the head being alive and not the body. I realize its not possible but thought it would be interesting if someday it would be.

You may read Roald Dahl's classic short story on that theme..

jim mcnamara said:
Keeping bodies alive when there is absolutely no way to "wake them" violates medical ethics, anyway.
Why?
I see absolutely nothing unethical (in principle) in maintaining an individual's mental existence beyond the duration of his or her body's existence (for example, transferring the thoughts etc onto artificial circuits, creating a soul-bank).

It MIGHT be unethical to demand of others to pay the upkeep of such machinery if the disembodied souls would not be able to provide services of various kinds to those others.

Attachments

• cryohead1.jpg
    cryohead1.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 413

1. Can a human head survive without a body?

Technically, it is possible for a human head to survive without a body through the process of head transplantation. However, this has only been successful in animals and there are ethical concerns surrounding the procedure.

2. How does the brain function without a body?

The brain relies on a continuous supply of oxygen and nutrients from the body to function. Without a body, the brain would eventually succumb to lack of oxygen and nutrients, leading to brain death.

3. Can a head survive without a cardiovascular system?

No, a head cannot survive without a cardiovascular system. The cardiovascular system is responsible for delivering oxygen and nutrients to the brain and other organs, and without it, the head would not be able to function.

4. What are the potential risks and challenges of head transplantation?

The potential risks of head transplantation include rejection of the transplanted head by the body's immune system, failure of the transplanted head to integrate with the new body, and ethical concerns regarding the definition of identity and the potential consequences for the recipient.

5. Could head transplantation be a solution for individuals with severe disabilities or injuries?

Head transplantation is still in the experimental stage and has not been successfully performed on humans. It is also a complex and risky procedure with ethical implications. Other medical interventions, such as prosthetics and assistive devices, may be more practical and ethical solutions for individuals with severe disabilities or injuries.