Deflection of a solid body with different cross sectional areas

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of deflection at certain points in a solid body with different cross sectional areas, when a force is applied at one of the sections. The speaker is seeking help with understanding the process and suggests using a computer program for accurate calculations. They also mention the concept of maximum deflection and the use of boundary conditions in determining it.
ladil123
Hello!

I want to know the deflection at certain points in a solid body with different cross sectional areas. A force (F) is applied at one of the different sections. I want to know the deflection where the force is applied and what the deflection is on the other parts of the body.
Im going to need to calculate the deflection on different geometries but if anyone could help me with the one that is on the picture below maybe I start to remember how to do it... The solid body is all round.
The only material constant i want to use is the E-modulus.

Thanks for helping me

Daniel

Attachments

• valsdeflection.gif
    valsdeflection.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 601
Physics news on Phys.org
In contrast, a uniform beam with a an offset point load has a deflection at the point of loading to be:

defl(P) = P*a^3*b^3 / 3*E*I*L^3

However, you have modeled a beam consisting of three segments. I would direct you to any good book on "Mechanics of Materials" under structural engineering. It would give the principles for you then to develop equations for this problem. Guaranteed, you won't find a pre-assembled solution as this problem is too irregular in itself.

As you presented it, the problem is well defined (said to be determinant). That is, you have sufficient data to determine the deflection.

Frankly, we use a "Frame Analysis" computer program to frequently solve such problems. There are oodles of such programs; you could probably find some rudimentary ones free on the internet. That would be able to calculate deflections at all points, but of course only for numerically defined problems. I suggest you go that route.

Thank you!

If I want to do this very easy, can I combine the deflection of one specific beam with different boundary conditions at the end of the beam and with equlibrium solve the problem.

I don't really need the to know the deflection all over the beam, just where its maximum is= where the force is applied (obviously) and at the end of the different sections.

English is not my first language so I hope I made it somewhat clear.

Yes, in theory you could determine the deflections by maintaining compatible boundary conditions. In reality, this is usually more difficult then the alternative. The most common method is to model the beam with varying sectional properties. As said earlier, most method is to use a computer program.

I would suggest the following program (FastFrame), which is free and perhaps one of the best for its price:

http://www.enercalc.com/support/downloads.asp

Maximum deflection in not coincident in location with applied force unless the location is symmetric (ie: at mid point).

Usually the maximum deflection is not trivial for non-trivial configurations. As such, we structural engineers usually check the deflection incrementally along the entire length of the beam (eg: in 1/10*length intervals).

Last edited by a moderator:

What is deflection of a solid body with different cross sectional areas?

Deflection of a solid body with different cross sectional areas refers to the amount of bending or deformation experienced by a solid object when a force is applied to it. This can occur when the cross sectional area of the object varies, causing differences in strength and stiffness along its length.

How is deflection calculated for a solid body with different cross sectional areas?

The deflection of a solid body with different cross sectional areas can be calculated using the principles of material mechanics, specifically the equations for bending and stress. This involves considering the geometry and material properties of the object, as well as the applied force and boundary conditions.

What factors can affect the deflection of a solid body with different cross sectional areas?

There are several factors that can affect the deflection of a solid body with different cross sectional areas, including the material properties of the object (such as elasticity and strength), the magnitude and direction of the applied force, and the size and shape of the cross sectional areas. Additionally, the support conditions and boundary conditions can also impact the deflection.

How does the shape of the cross sectional area affect deflection?

The shape of the cross sectional area can greatly influence the deflection of a solid body. For example, a circular cross section may be more resistant to bending compared to a rectangular cross section of the same area. This is due to the distribution of stress and strain along the object's length.

What are some real-world applications of deflection of solid bodies with different cross sectional areas?

The principles of deflection are important in engineering and construction, as it allows engineers to design structures and objects that can withstand the forces and loads placed upon them. This can include buildings, bridges, and other structures. Additionally, understanding deflection can also be useful in designing and manufacturing various products, such as vehicles, furniture, and machines.