Projectile with Air Resistance

In summary: Based on the information provided, air resistance affects the range of a projectile. The more massive object will travel a shorter distance because of the air resistance effect.
glenn101
Hey all, I'm new to this forums.
My question is this, I've been learning about projectiles and I came across a thought regarding air resistance. For example if you have a more massive object (more kg) does it fall less distance(range) because of the addition of vectors of mg(weight force which would be bigger due to bigger m) and the air resistance force which will give a bigger net force? maybe I'm just confused.
Any help would be great:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, glen101!

Let us assume that two projectiles, A and B are equal in shape, so that BOTH experience an air resistance force of type, say, [itex]-k\vec{v}[/itex], i.e, the constant k-value is equal for both projectiles.

Now, let us say that the mass of A is bigger than that of B.

Thus, Newton's 2.law for both objects can be written as:
[tex]\vec{g}-\frac{k}{m_{A}}\vec{v}=\vec{a}_{A}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{g}-\frac{k}{m_{B}}\vec{v}=\vec{a}_{B}[/tex]
[itex]\vec{g}[/itex] being the acceleration due to gravity.
Now, if A and B at some instant (say, initially), have the SAME velocity, it follows that the acceleration term induced by the air resistance is LESS on the more massive object A, because [itex]\frac{k}{m_{A}}[/itex] is less than [itex]\frac{k}{m_{B}}[/itex].

Thus, the heavier object should travel the furthest distance when beginning from equal conditions.

Last edited:
thanks for the reply arildno!:smile:
I am intrigued that by what you are saying suggests that the more massive object should travel the furtherest distance as I have conducted an experiment launching a mass with a projectile launcher, and by my results it has shown that the more massive object travels less distance? would this be because the projectile launchers spring can only produce a certain amount of elastic potential energy to the mass thus the bigger mass consumes more energy during its flight making it move a shorter distance? oh and with the experiment I think the launch height and landing height are a bit different, not sure of that makes much of a difference however.

Putting it a bit whimsically, it's harder for air resistance to slow down the more massive object, because it has more momentum. (Assuming equal initial speeds)

Of course, it would take more energy to get the more massive object accelerated up to the same speed as the lighter one. It's interesting to muse about how air resistance will affect the range of the projectile if they are given identical initial energies instead of velocities.

glenn101 said:
more massive object ... projectile launchers spring
It's not a fair comparason, the spring won't launch the more massive object with the same speed as it would the less massive object.

Thank you all for the replies.
And you are very right Jeff Ried, I see the flaw in the experiment. And so if I had perfect conditions I would see that the more massive objects travels further distance due to the air resistance effect.

Also, you must be careful. When you are doing projectile motion with air resistance, the optimal angle is no longer 45 degrees w.r.t. the horizontal.

@ csprof2000
yes that is true, also having the difference of launch height and landing height alters 45 degrees as the optimum angle. I have stated that in a report I am writing.

Well, you should do more than state it... you should compare the two masses based on optimal trajectories, no? Each will have a different one.

What is a projectile with air resistance?

A projectile with air resistance is an object that is launched into the air and experiences a force from the air as it travels, which affects its trajectory and speed. This force is known as air resistance or drag.

How does air resistance affect the motion of a projectile?

Air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion, slowing it down and causing it to follow a curved path instead of a straight line. The greater the surface area and speed of the projectile, the greater the air resistance will be.

What factors affect the amount of air resistance on a projectile?

The amount of air resistance on a projectile is affected by its speed, surface area, and shape. Objects with larger surface areas and higher speeds experience more air resistance compared to smaller and slower objects. The shape of the object can also impact the amount of air resistance it experiences.

How can air resistance be calculated for a projectile?

The calculation of air resistance on a projectile is complex and involves various factors such as the density and viscosity of the air, the projectile's shape and speed, and the angle at which it is launched. It is typically calculated using mathematical models and equations specific to the projectile's characteristics.

How does air resistance affect the range and height of a projectile?

The presence of air resistance reduces the range and height of a projectile compared to a scenario where there is no air resistance. This is because air resistance slows down the projectile's forward motion and causes it to fall faster, shortening its range and height compared to a frictionless environment.