Can Urine Glucose Levels Be Used to Diagnose Diabetes Mellitus?

• Medical
  • Thread starter crays
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diabetes
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of diagnosing diabetes mellitus by testing for the presence of glucose in the urine. It is mentioned that traditional blood glucose tests are more accurate, but urine screenings are also available. It is recommended to consult a doctor for a proper diagnosis and treatment if there are symptoms present. In some cases, in countries with limited resources, ants are used to test for the presence of glucose in urine.
crays
Hey guys, I'm just wondering if its possible to diagnose a person with diabetes mellitus if glucose is present in the urine? I mean just by merely glucose.

If so, is there a way to test for the present of glucose (like any chemical ?).

Thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
crays said:
Hey guys, I'm just wondering if its possible to diagnose a person with diabetes mellitus if glucose is present in the urine? I mean just by merely glucose.

If so, is there a way to test for the present of glucose (like any chemical ?).

Thanks.

Why not just use the traditional blood glucose test?

http://diabetes.webmd.com/types-of-diabetes-mellitus

A lot of pharmacies offer screenings where they will perform a finger stick to test a drop of blood for you. You can also screen urine, but the blood test is more accurate.

Though, if you're not just being curious and really suspect you or someone you know is diabetic based on other symptoms, it's probably best to just schedule a doctor's appointment. They can do the screening, and at the same time, do the rest of the exam to determine the right treatment...or if it's not diabetes, to consider other things the symptoms might indicate.

In some 3rd world countries, they put the urine of someone suspected to have diabetes, on the ground, and watch for ants to be attracted to it{the glucose}. It does seem to work.

Thanks, i guess i'll do screening. I don't know cause, I've some (not all) diabetes symptoms and i know I'm a glucose addict x(. Gotta check out, thanks guys.

What is diabetes mellitus?

Diabetes mellitus is a chronic disease in which the body is unable to properly regulate blood sugar levels. This is due to either the pancreas not producing enough insulin or the body's cells not responding properly to insulin.

What are the common symptoms of diabetes mellitus?

The most common symptoms of diabetes mellitus include frequent urination, excessive thirst, extreme hunger, unexplained weight loss, fatigue, and blurred vision.

How is diabetes mellitus diagnosed?

Diabetes mellitus is typically diagnosed through blood tests that measure the level of glucose in the blood. These tests can include a fasting plasma glucose test, oral glucose tolerance test, or a hemoglobin A1C test. A combination of symptoms and test results are used to make a diagnosis.

What are the risk factors for developing diabetes mellitus?

The main risk factors for developing diabetes mellitus include being overweight or obese, having a sedentary lifestyle, having a family history of diabetes, and being over the age of 45. Certain ethnicities, such as African Americans, Hispanic/Latino Americans, and Native Americans, also have a higher risk.

Is diabetes mellitus curable?

Unfortunately, there is currently no cure for diabetes mellitus. However, it can be managed through lifestyle changes such as a healthy diet, regular exercise, and medication. It is important for individuals with diabetes mellitus to monitor their blood sugar levels and follow their doctor's recommended treatment plan to prevent complications.