Solving a Vector Problem: Finding the Midpoint of V (-3,-2,-2) and (8,6,9)

• Thread starter graycolor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation is about the vector V between two points (-3,-2,-2) and (8,6,9) and the confusion about whether the question is asking for the midpoint or the vector that joins the two points. It is clarified that the question is most likely asking for the vector, which would be B-A.
graycolor

Homework Statement

Consider the vector V between (-3,-2,-2) and (8,6,9).
What is vector V ?

Isn't this question asking just for the midpoint in that case shouldn't it be <5/2,2,7/2>. Webwork my online homework submitter tells me I'm wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Most likely it is asking for the vector made by the two points.

The MIDPOINT between two vectors A and B is (A+B)/2. I think the 'between' in this problem means the vector that joins the two points A and B. That would be B-A. Your confusion about the word 'between' is understandable.

Dick said:
The MIDPOINT between two vectors A and B is (A+B)/2. I think the 'between' in this problem means the vector that joins the two points A and B. That would be B-A. Your confusion about the word 'between' is understandable.

Yes, you are right thank you.

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is commonly represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow indicating the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

2. How do you add vectors?

To add vectors, you must first make sure they are in the same direction. Then, you simply add the magnitudes of the two vectors together to get the resulting vector. If the vectors are in opposite directions, you subtract the smaller magnitude from the larger magnitude and use the direction of the larger vector.

3. Can vectors be negative?

Yes, vectors can have negative magnitudes. This means that the vector is pointing in the opposite direction of its positive counterpart. For example, a vector with a magnitude of -5 would be pointing in the opposite direction of a vector with a magnitude of 5.

4. What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A vector has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar only has magnitude. In other words, a scalar is just a number, while a vector is a quantity that also includes a direction.

5. How are vectors used in science and engineering?

Vectors are used in many different fields of science and engineering, including physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to represent various physical quantities, such as force, velocity, and acceleration, and are essential for understanding and solving many scientific and engineering problems.