What is the potential use of Matlab in scientific research and data analysis?

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter Rhine720
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's experience learning C++ and their interest in using it for organizational purposes. They also mention their plans to learn other languages, including Matlab for numerical computation, and their preference for a GUI in their programming projects. They also mention studying physics and the importance of learning languages in a specific order.
Rhine720
So I've been slowly and surely learning c++. However I think..what would i program with my new knowledge? I'm more so interested in learning it for the sole purpose of its neccessity in my college life and perhaps future career so i never put much thought about that into it. But applying it ia necessary to learning and growth. So I was thinking maybe some sort of organizational program? Something to hold specific files and call them fastly. Or maybe a program like RUN that will allow me to assign names to that i can pull up faster then doing something like "ZOMGWTFISTHISFILENAME.EXE"

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you in college for? Perhaps write something that performs numerical computations, or stores data that you perform operations on. Also, do you want to write windows forms applications with a gui or just a simple console application?

Thanks
Matt

I intend on going in for physics. I am working on a plan in which i learn multiple languages in order of C++>Matlab>Python>Java>etc

C++ first because its probably what I'll most likely encounter.

I don't want to really do something that does numerical computation so much as there's not much me and my calculator can't handle and I enjoy doing math.

If the difference is one looks nicer, then I wouldn't mind the GUI. IDK how possible it is since I'd rather stick with my Bloodshed and Code::Blocks then fight with that whole microsoft thing which doesn't seem to ever want to finish installing

Rhine720 said:
I don't want to really do something that does numerical computation so much as there's not much me and my calculator can't handle

I'm afraid you are very very wrong about that. In fact Matlab basically just is a numerical computation suite That's all it does. It's not a programming language (although one can write scripts).

Rhine720 said:
I intend on going in for physics. I am working on a plan in which i learn multiple languages in order of C++>Matlab>Python>Java>etc
I don't know the answer to your initial question but learning C++ as a first language was probably not a good idea; Python is straightforward and is probably the best 'first language' to learn. It's best to learn them in this order: Python>Java>C++

maverick_starstrider said:
I'm afraid you are very very wrong about that. In fact Matlab basically just is a numerical computation suite That's all it does. It's not a programming language (although one can write scripts).

Matlab is a programming language. It includes, for instance, a rather capable implementation of OOP, among other things.

1. What are the key elements to consider when deciding what to write first?

The key elements to consider when deciding what to write first are your audience, purpose, and main message. You should also consider the complexity of your topic, the amount of research needed, and the time you have available.

2. Should I start with an outline or just start writing?

It depends on your writing style and preferences. Some people find it helpful to start with an outline to organize their thoughts and ideas before diving into writing. Others prefer to just start writing and let their ideas flow naturally. You can also try a combination of both approaches.

3. Is it better to write the introduction first or last?

There is no right or wrong answer to this question. Some writers prefer to write the introduction first to get a clear idea of their main message and purpose. Others find it easier to write the introduction last, after they have completed the body of their work. Ultimately, it depends on what works best for you.

4. How do I overcome writer's block and get started?

Writer's block is a common challenge for many writers. To overcome it, you can try different techniques such as free writing, brainstorming, or taking a break and coming back to your writing later with a fresh perspective. It's also important to have a clear understanding of your topic and purpose, as well as setting achievable goals for your writing session.

5. What strategies can I use to stay motivated and focused while writing?

Staying motivated and focused while writing can be a challenge, especially for longer writing projects. Some strategies you can try include setting small achievable goals, taking breaks and rewarding yourself, seeking feedback from others, and keeping a positive mindset. It's also important to have a clear understanding of your purpose and to remind yourself of the importance of your work.