Time for photon to reach the furthest point of diffraction?

In summary, the time it takes for a photon to reach the farthest point of the diffraction pattern is determined by the distance it travels from the source to the slit, plus the distance it travels from the slit to the farthest point on the far wall, divided by the speed of light. This is assuming there are no obstructions in between. However, the maximum probability of the photon reaching the farthest point would be associated with the shortest path, where it travels at the speed of light from the source to the slit, and then to the farthest point on the far wall.
SorcererXIII
When a photon diffracts through a slit, how long does it take to reach the farthest point of the diffraction pattern once it leaves the source? Would be it be the same as the time it takes to get from the source to the slit, plus to get from the slit to farthest point of light on the far wall (i.e. do you add the distance from p1 to p2 to the distance from p2 to p3, and divide by c)?

Or does the light travel directly to each point unimpeded (i.e. using the distance from p1 to p2 divided by c, as if there were no obstruction inbetween)?

I am sorry to ask such a mundane question, I searched all over the internet and could not find an answer.

Just a layperson here with some physics interest.

Thank you,
Tom

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone answer? Thank you.

Just thought I'd try one more time. Thanks.

AFAIK the maximum probability would be associated with the path where the photon goes with the speed of light from the source to the slit, and from the slit to some point on the far wall.

-- Dmtr

1. What is the furthest point of diffraction?

The furthest point of diffraction is the point in space where a photon, or particle of light, reaches after being diffracted through a medium such as a prism or grating. This point is determined by the properties of the medium and the wavelength of the photon.

2. How is the time for a photon to reach the furthest point of diffraction calculated?

The time for a photon to reach the furthest point of diffraction is calculated by dividing the distance between the source of the photon and the furthest point of diffraction by the speed of light.

3. What factors affect the time for a photon to reach the furthest point of diffraction?

The time for a photon to reach the furthest point of diffraction can be affected by the properties of the medium through which it is diffracted, such as its density or refractive index. The wavelength of the photon also plays a role, as longer wavelengths will diffract more than shorter wavelengths.

4. How does the time for a photon to reach the furthest point of diffraction relate to the speed of light?

The time for a photon to reach the furthest point of diffraction is directly related to the speed of light, as it is calculated by dividing the distance by the speed of light. This means that the time for a photon to reach the furthest point of diffraction will always be shorter than the time it takes for light to travel directly from the source to the furthest point.

5. Can the time for a photon to reach the furthest point of diffraction be altered?

The time for a photon to reach the furthest point of diffraction is a physical property that is determined by the characteristics of the medium and the wavelength of the photon. Therefore, it cannot be altered or controlled by external factors.