Can Zn4Sb3 Be Used as an N-Type Material in a Thermoelectric Refrigerator?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Zn4Sb3 as a p-type material for making a thermoelectric refrigerator. The question of whether any n-type material can be used with Zn4Sb3 is raised, with the suggestion of using Bi2Te3. The possibility of using Zn4Sb3 for a thermoelectric refrigerator is also questioned, as some articles suggest it may not have a high enough figure of merit. The conversation also mentions the request for book or article recommendations on the topic.
Kylo
hi everyone

I am doing a project on thermoelectric Refrigerator and from my research i found out about a p-type material known as Zn4Sb3 which has a high figure of merit however, as far as i know to make a thermoelectric module, it has to be combined with an n-tpye material. is it that any n-type material is possible to use with Zn4Sb3? can i use Bi2Te3?

just to confirm is Zn4Sb3 possible to use for making thermoelectric refrigerator ?as some artice i read that it could not give a figure of merit of 1.4 at room temperature.

hope someone could help me with this problem.

I would also appreciate it if someone had any book or article about this topic to reccomend.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is you project about developing a thermoelectric element, or a refigerator? If it's the latter, I would just buy an off the sheft TEC and not bother with the nitt-gritty details of how one is designed and constructed.

well i had to produce the module myself and i had to do a report therefore i couldn't just buy a TEC off the shelve

1. What is a thermoelectric refrigerator?

A thermoelectric refrigerator is a type of refrigerator that uses the Peltier effect to cool or heat objects. It works by passing a current through two different types of semiconductors, creating a temperature difference between them. This temperature difference is then used to cool or heat the desired object.

2. How does a thermoelectric refrigerator work?

A thermoelectric refrigerator works by utilizing the Peltier effect, which is the creation of a temperature difference when an electric current flows through two different types of semiconductors. One side of the thermoelectric refrigerator is heated, while the other is cooled. This temperature difference is then used to transfer heat and cool the desired object.

3. What are the advantages of a thermoelectric refrigerator?

One advantage of a thermoelectric refrigerator is that it does not use any harmful refrigerants, making it more environmentally friendly. It also has no moving parts, making it more durable and less prone to mechanical failures. Additionally, it is more compact and lightweight compared to traditional refrigerators.

4. What are the limitations of a thermoelectric refrigerator?

One limitation of a thermoelectric refrigerator is that it is less efficient at cooling compared to traditional refrigerators, meaning it may take longer to reach desired temperatures. It also has a limited cooling capacity, so it may not be suitable for cooling large objects or spaces. Additionally, it is more expensive to manufacture, making it more costly for consumers.

5. How is a thermoelectric refrigerator different from a traditional refrigerator?

A traditional refrigerator uses a compressor and refrigerant to cool objects, while a thermoelectric refrigerator uses the Peltier effect. This means that traditional refrigerators are more efficient at cooling and have a larger cooling capacity, but they also use harmful refrigerants and have more mechanical components that can fail. Thermoelectric refrigerators, on the other hand, are more environmentally friendly and have no moving parts, making them more durable and compact.