Some question about floating seal

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of a floating seal instead of a lip seal with back bone in a high pressure situation. The individual is asking for recommendations on suppliers of floating seals, a guide book for designing a pulley, and code of standards for the size and specifications of floating seals. They also mention using O-rings from Parker as a source for seals.
Su Solberg
Some question about floating seal

Hi, everyone,
I am designing a pulley that can be placed in 10-25m slurry (or you can treat it as sea water I think).
Some ppl suggest that using a floating seal is much better than lip seal with back bone in such relatively high pressure situation.

Due to the above situation, I wonder the following issues:
1. apart from "Simrit", who are the common international suppliers of floating seal.
2. is there any guide book that can help me to design a pulley?
3. what are code of standards that regulates the size and spec. of floating seal
4. Is there any other issues that's needed to be notified apart form the specification stated in the sales catalog?
http://www.simritna.com/news/brochures/Floating_Seals_ES_Series.pdf

Thanks for your kind help and your precious time.

Engineering news on Phys.org
heres a couple seal sources

http://www.parker.com/portal/site/PARKER

we use orings from parker, and both their web tech info, and tech support are very good
the polypacks are some of the nicest seals I have ever seen. we use them up to 72Kpsi and they also last a small lifetime

dr

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a floating seal?

A floating seal, also known as a mechanical face seal or duo cone seal, is a type of seal used in rotating equipment to prevent fluid leakage. It consists of two identical metal rings, one stationary and one rotating, that are held together by springs and create a tight seal between the two surfaces.

2. How does a floating seal work?

A floating seal works by creating a barrier between two surfaces that are in contact with each other. The stationary ring is pressed against the rotating ring, creating a seal that prevents fluid from leaking out. As the two surfaces rotate, the seal maintains contact and prevents any leakage from occurring.

3. What are the benefits of using a floating seal?

There are several benefits to using a floating seal, including its ability to withstand high pressure and temperature, its long lifespan, and its ability to work in a variety of environments. It also provides better sealing performance compared to other types of seals, making it a reliable choice for industrial applications.

4. How do you install a floating seal?

The installation process for a floating seal may vary depending on the specific equipment it is being used in. Generally, the seal is installed by placing the stationary ring on the shaft and securing it with bolts, while the rotating ring is placed on the housing and secured with a retaining plate. The seal should be checked for proper alignment and lubrication before use.

5. How do you maintain a floating seal?

To maintain a floating seal, it is important to regularly check for wear and tear, clean and lubricate the seal as needed, and replace it when necessary. It is also important to follow manufacturer recommendations for maintenance and to ensure proper installation to prevent premature failure. Regular maintenance can help extend the lifespan of a floating seal and ensure its optimal performance.