Understanding the Kronecker Delta Symbol: A_j Explained

In summary, the sum in question is over the repeated index k, not j. The delta will only be 1 when k=j, and the sum can be written as A_k or A_j. Therefore, the answer should be A_j, not A_k.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
\delta _{jk} A_k \\
\\
\delta _{jk} A_k = \left( {\delta _{1,1} + \delta _{1,2} + \delta _{1,3} + \delta _{2,1} + \delta _{2,2} + \delta _{2,3} + \delta _{3,1} + \delta _{3,2} + \delta _{3,3} } \right)A_k \\
\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\, = \left( {1 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 1 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 1} \right)A_k \\
\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\, = 3A_k \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

But the answer should be [tex]A_j[/tex]. Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I know, the sum is only over k, not j.

That's true, and you also need to recognize that [itex]A_k[/itex] has different values for different terms in the sum.

and to further add, the delta will only be 1 when k=j in the sum.

Sorry, I don't understand your explanations. We don't have a textbook for this, only class notes. So I don't even know what "the sum is over k" means. Is it possible to work out the example? Thanks!

The sum is always only over a repeated index, the other indices are fixed. For example suppose A is a 2x2 matrix and x is a 2-vector:

[tex]A_{ij} x_j = \sum_{j=1}^2 A_{ij} x_j = A_{i1} x_1 + A_{i2} x_2 [/tex]

really your only problem is that you summed over j

tony873004 said:
Sorry, I don't understand your explanations. We don't have a textbook for this, only class notes. So I don't even know what "the sum is over k" means. Is it possible to work out the example? Thanks!

Hi tony873004! :smile:

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_summation_convention" :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
tony873004 said:
[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
\delta _{jk} A_k \\
\\
\delta _{jk} A_k = \left( {\delta _{1,1} + \delta _{1,2} + \delta _{1,3} + \delta _{2,1} + \delta _{2,2} + \delta _{2,3} + \delta _{3,1} + \delta _{3,2} + \delta _{3,3} } \right)A_k \\
\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\, = \left( {1 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 1 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 1} \right)A_k \\
\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\, = 3A_k \\
\end{array}
[/tex]
No. As others have said, the sum is over k, the repeated index, not i.
[tex]\delta_{ik}A_k= (A_{i1}A_1+ A_{i2}A_2+ A_{i3}A_3[/itex]
for every i. That is
[tex]\delta_{1k}A_k= A_{11}A_1+ A_{12}A_2+ A_{13}A_3= A_1[/tex]
[tex]\delta_{2k}A_k= A_{21}A_1+ A_{22}A_2+ A_{23}A_3= A_2[/tex]
[tex]\delta_{3k}A_3= A_{21}A_1+ A_{32}A_2+ A_{33}A_3= A_3[/tex]
That is, it is the vector [itex]<A_1, A_2, A_3>[/itex] which can be written as [itex]A_i[/itex] or [itex]A_j[/itex] as they mean the same thing.

But the answer should be [tex]A_j[/tex]. Where did I go wrong?

1. What is the Kronecker delta symbol?

The Kronecker delta symbol, denoted by Δ, is a mathematical symbol used to represent a special function that takes two integer arguments and returns 1 if the arguments are equal, and 0 otherwise. It is named after German mathematician Leopold Kronecker.

2. What is the purpose of the Kronecker delta symbol?

The Kronecker delta symbol is often used in mathematics and physics to simplify equations involving sums and products, especially in vector and matrix operations. It is also used as a symbol for the identity matrix, which is a square matrix with ones on the main diagonal and zeros elsewhere.

3. How is the Kronecker delta symbol written and pronounced?

The Kronecker delta symbol is written as Δ, which is a capital Greek letter delta. It is pronounced as "delta sub i j" or "Kronecker delta of i j" where i and j represent the two integer arguments.

4. What is the difference between the Kronecker delta symbol and the Dirac delta function?

Although both symbols involve the use of the delta symbol, the Kronecker delta symbol and the Dirac delta function are two distinct mathematical concepts. The Kronecker delta symbol is a discrete function that takes integer arguments, while the Dirac delta function is a continuous function that is often used to represent an infinitely narrow peak.

5. What are some applications of the Kronecker delta symbol?

The Kronecker delta symbol has a wide range of applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is commonly used in linear algebra, statistics, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in signal processing, image processing, and control systems. Additionally, it has applications in computer science, such as in the analysis of algorithms and data structures.