G: Why Is My Centrifugal Pump Not Working Properly?

In summary, the conversation discusses potential causes for a pump not pumping liquid, including a lack of prime, incorrect pump rotation, deadheading, incorrect flow instrumentation, and air traps caused by piping. These issues can be resolved by checking for source power, ensuring the pump is turned on, checking the motor rotation, opening isolation valves, and inspecting the impeller for damage.
maxx_payne
hello guys here's another question
my pump not pumping liquied althoug the pump is under the tank why ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Pump basics...Have you looked at:
- Making sure the pump has a good prime (most likely the cause).
- Making sure the pump driver is rotating in the right direction.
- Making sure the pump is not deadheaded.
- Making sure your flow instrumentation is correct.

along with what fred said, make sure that the piping does not form an "air trap" which could allow a pocket of air to fill inside of the pump cavity. Input and output lines that come out of the pump and go down can cause this. It makes the pump the place where all air slowly collects.

dr

maxx_payne said:
hello guys here's another question
my pump not pumping liquied althoug the pump is under the tank why ?

Does it have source power?
Is it turned on?
Does the motor driving the pump rotate?
Are the isolation valves open?
Is the impeller damaged?

CS

1. Why is my centrifugal pump not starting?

There could be several reasons for a centrifugal pump not starting. Some possible causes include a lack of power to the pump, a faulty motor, or a clogged impeller. It is important to check the power supply and inspect the motor and impeller for any issues.

2. How do I troubleshoot a centrifugal pump that is not working?

To troubleshoot a centrifugal pump that is not working, start by checking the power supply, ensuring that the motor is functioning properly, and inspecting the impeller and other components for any damage or blockages. It may also be helpful to consult the pump's manual for specific troubleshooting instructions.

3. What are some common causes of a centrifugal pump not producing enough flow?

A centrifugal pump may not produce enough flow due to a variety of reasons. Some common causes include a clogged impeller, worn or damaged pump components, or incorrect pump settings. It is important to identify the specific cause in order to properly address the issue.

4. How can I increase the flow rate of my centrifugal pump?

To increase the flow rate of a centrifugal pump, you can adjust the pump's impeller size, increase the speed of the motor, or reduce any restrictions in the pump's discharge or suction lines. It is important to consult the pump's manual and consider the system's capabilities before making any changes.

5. What maintenance should be performed on a centrifugal pump to prevent it from not working?

Regular maintenance is crucial for keeping a centrifugal pump in good working condition. This includes inspecting and cleaning the impeller, checking and replacing any worn or damaged components, and ensuring that the pump is properly lubricated. It is also important to monitor the pump's performance and address any issues promptly to prevent potential breakdowns.