What are some comprehensive and reliable books on Ancient History?

In summary: Are there any good sources that focus specifically on those periods?In summary,There are few reliable sources of ancient history, and those that are available are often biased and span a wide range of time periods. However, the Cambridge Ancient History is a good resource for learning about European history before the 2nd century AD.
qspeechc
Hi guys

I own several history books, but none covering history before the 2nd century AD. Well, that's not true, I have Low's abridgement of Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, but nobody reads that to learn history, they only read it for Gibbon's writting. Any recommendations? Specifically of European history, but quite broad (meaning if it covers world history it's fine) and comprehensive, but not encyclopaedic (do I sound picky?). There's the Cambridge Ancient History, but that spans over ten volumes! Any suggestions are much appreciated, thanks.

qspeechc

Science news on Phys.org
Depends a bit on what you are after.

Scullard's history of the Roman Republic from the origins up to the establishment of the Principate is a standard work, still used extensively in history curriculae at English-speaking countries.

The "History of the Roman People" by Ward, Heichelheim, and Yeo is an excellent survey of Roman history, if you're into that. I'm actually using it for a class on the Roman Empire, and it's one of the most enjoyable reads I've ever had from a textbook.

I would also recommend looking into primary sources, which can be really fun (though you sometimes must take them with a grain of salt!). Suetonius is amazing, as are Plutarch, Cassius Dio, etc.

qspeechc said:
Hi guys

I own several history books, but none covering history before the 2nd century AD. Well, that's not true, I have Low's abridgement of Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, but nobody reads that to learn history, they only read it for Gibbon's writting. Any recommendations? Specifically of European history, but quite broad (meaning if it covers world history it's fine) and comprehensive, but not encyclopaedic (do I sound picky?). There's the Cambridge Ancient History, but that spans over ten volumes! Any suggestions are much appreciated, thanks.

qspeechc
It's very difficult to find good sources of ancient history, especially those which are reliable in the sense that they are supported by archeological and historical evidence. There are translations of old historic texts, but one has to understand the context and bias of the author, as well as the influence of the translator.

Cambridge Ancient History is one of the best resources.

I'm particularly interested in Neothilic period through the Middle Ages.

1. What is the value of studying ancient history?

Studying ancient history allows us to understand the foundations of our society and culture. It provides insight into the origins of political systems, social structures, and religious beliefs. Additionally, it can help us learn from past mistakes and avoid repeating them in the future.

2. What are the most common topics covered in books on ancient history?

The most common topics in books on ancient history include civilizations, empires, wars, cultural developments, and significant individuals or events. Specific areas of focus may include Ancient Egypt, Greece, Rome, or Mesopotamia, as well as topics such as the rise and fall of empires, daily life in ancient societies, and the impact of ancient civilizations on modern society.

3. How do historians gather information about ancient history?

Historians gather information about ancient history through a variety of sources, including written records, archaeological evidence, and oral traditions. They may also use scientific methods such as carbon dating to determine the age of artifacts and DNA analysis to study the genetic makeup of ancient populations.

4. Are there any controversies in the field of ancient history?

Yes, there are often debates and controversies in the field of ancient history, particularly surrounding the interpretation of historical events and the reliability of sources. For example, there may be differing opinions on the cause of the fall of a particular empire or the accuracy of ancient texts.

5. How can I find reliable books on ancient history?

To find reliable books on ancient history, it is important to research the author's credentials and reputation in the academic community. Look for books that have been reviewed and recommended by other scholars in the field. Additionally, books published by reputable academic publishers or written by experts in the subject area are more likely to be reliable sources of information.