Finding specific heat with unknown Q

In summary, you used the standard value of copper's specific heat to find Q then plugged Q back into the second equation to find your lab's value of copper's specific heat. However, this gives you the same answer as using the actual specific heat. You are having trouble with a lab report. You are trying to find the specific heat of five metals but you don't know how to use the equation correctly. You are trying to find the difference in temperature between before and after adding a specific metal to a calorimeter. You converted calories to joules and plugged that value into your equation. The difference in temperature was Q. You found that the copper sample had a specific heat of .46.
Kingbaldur

Homework Statement

Hello, I'm having some trouble with a lab report. I am supposed to find the specific heat of five metals but I don't know exactly how to use the equation correctly. for instance I have copper at 70.2g, the delta T at 1.8 degrees Celsius, specific heat of copper is 385 J/kg-degrees Celsius.

Homework Equations

Q=MC*delta T
C=Q/M*delta T

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the standard value of copper's specific heat to find Q then plug Q back into the second equation to find our lab's value of copper's specific heat. This however gives me the same answer of course. My teacher wants us to use our data to come up with coppers specific heat and compare it to the actual specific heat but I can't figure out how to get a value for Q without using coppers standard specific heat. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you are understanding the assignment?

Specific heat capacity is originally determined by mechanical means.

I'm pretty sure. We were supposed to use our findings to calculate the specific heat of the metals we tested. Yet I can't figure out how to find another specific heat. We are supposed to find the specific heat then compare it to the actual established specific heat of the metal and determine the relative error of our lab in each metal.

So you actually tested the metals, and accumulated the data?

If so, can you describe the test?

We weighed the 5 metals. We weighed the calorimeter cups with and without water. We heated a beaker of water with the metals in them to boiling. We placed the metals in the calorimeter cup one at a time until each reached thermal equilibrium. then took down the temperature. That's the extent of it. I talked to a friend in the class and he said Q was equal to the temperature of the metals before we brought them over to the calorimeter cups. so 103 Celsius= the mass* specific heat* the temp change.

What you measured with the calorimeter was Q.

The difference in temperature from before and after.

Convert calories to joules. Then plug that value into your equation.

So the change in temperature was Q? for instance one calorimeter started at 18.5 Celsius and we added the copper to it and it reached thermal equilibrium at about 22.1 Celsius so Q would be the change between those two? I'm a bit lost as to converting calories to joules because forgive my ignorance but we measured in celsius i don't know how to get that in calories.

A calorie is the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius.

3.6 times mass of the water will give you the calories. 4.184 joules equals 1 calorie.

You should be able to take it from there.

Alright So I worked out the problem how you said.
mass of water is 242.3*3.4 which gives me 823.82 calories, multiplied by 4.184 which gives me 3445 joules. I plugged that into Q=mc delta T, 3445J=.07kg*C*1.8 celsius, which resulted in 27341 J/kg-degree celsius. I just want to be sure I'm doing this right.

What was the temperature of the copper before and after?

The temperature of the copper before being put in the calorimeter was 103 Celsius. I believe we were to assume the water and metals to be the same temperature. The water in the calorimeter was 18.5 Celsius and 21 Celsius after thermal equilibrium.

103-21=82

So the delta temperature is 82C.

Q=3649.6j ((3.6*242.3)*4.184)
M=70.2g
dT=82C

Cp=(3649.6/(70.2*82))

Cp=0.63

At least, that is how I understand the equation.

hmm, the .063 is the specific heat of the copper sample? I don't know, I think we are thinking of two different concepts or whatnot. Thanks for all your help, I do appreciate it:approve:

You need to get your numbers right.

22.1 or 21?

2.5*242.3=605.75*4.184=2534.46

Q=2634.46j
M=70.2g
dT=82

70.2*82=5756.4

Cp=2634.46/5756.4

Cp=0.46

That is a little more realistic.

Alright, thanks for all your help, God bless you :smile:

What is specific heat and why is it important?

Specific heat is a measure of the amount of heat energy needed to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. It is an important property to understand in order to accurately predict how much energy is needed to heat or cool a substance.

What is the formula for finding specific heat with unknown Q?

The formula for finding specific heat with unknown Q is Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass of the substance, c is the specific heat, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

How do I determine the mass of a substance for finding specific heat?

The mass of a substance can be determined by weighing it using a scale or by calculating it based on the density and volume of the substance.

What units are used for specific heat and heat energy?

The units for specific heat are J/(g·°C) or cal/(g·°C), while the units for heat energy are joules (J) or calories (cal).

Can specific heat be different for different substances?

Yes, specific heat can vary depending on the type of substance and its physical properties. For example, metals typically have a lower specific heat compared to liquids or gases.