Surface area of smooth parametric surface

In summary, the problem involves finding the surface area of a cylindrical parabola in the first octant under the plane z = x. The natural parameterization to use is x and z, and the domain is a triangle in the xz plane.
zzheng
Sorry I am new to the forum, I don't know how to type in the integrals and stuff.

Homework Statement

Let S be the portion of the surface y = x2 where 0 <= z <= X <= 2. Compute the surface area of S.

Homework Equations

r(u,v) = x(u,v)i + y(u,v)j + z(u,v)k
A(S) = integral ru X rv dA

The Attempt at a Solution

My first attempt I did: x = ucosv, y = u2cos2v, and z = ucosv where 0<= u <= 2 and 0 <= v <= 2pi
when I was doing ru X rv, got a lot of sines and cosines but everything canceled out at the end and became 0.

Then I just decided to use x = x, and y = x2 where x is from 0 to 2.
but then ry turns out to be 0.

I am not sure how I would do this, most of the problems I have done are z as a function of x and y, but this case z is given but I don't know what to do with it.

Could some one please help me with this? Thank you for your help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless you are describing a surface of revolution, which you haven't described, I don't see why you would involve trig functions in the parameterization. The surface y = x2 is a cylindrical parabola standing vertically on the xy plane. If I understand your description correctly, you are talking about that portion of the cylindrical surface in the first octant under the plane z = x.

If I'm correct, the natural paramaterization would be to use x and z:

[tex]\vec R(x,z) = \langle x,x^2,z\rangle[/tex]

and your domain is a triangle in the xz plane. Try that.

1. What is the definition of "surface area" of a smooth parametric surface?

The surface area of a smooth parametric surface is a measurement of the total area of the surface, taking into account its curvature and smoothness. It is often represented by the symbol S and is measured in square units.

2. How is the surface area of a smooth parametric surface calculated?

The surface area of a smooth parametric surface is calculated using a mathematical formula called the surface area integral. It involves taking the integral of a function that describes the surface, which accounts for the variation in surface curvature.

3. What factors can affect the surface area of a smooth parametric surface?

The surface area of a smooth parametric surface can be affected by various factors such as the shape and size of the surface, the degree of smoothness, and the presence of any curves or bends in the surface. It can also be influenced by the parametric equations used to define the surface.

4. Can the surface area of a smooth parametric surface be negative?

No, the surface area of a smooth parametric surface cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the physical area of the surface. Negative values may arise in the calculations, but they are not meaningful in the context of surface area.

5. What is the significance of calculating the surface area of a smooth parametric surface?

The surface area of a smooth parametric surface is an important measurement in many fields of science and engineering. It can be used to determine the amount of material needed for a given surface, assess the efficiency of heat transfer, and analyze the behavior of fluid flow over a surface, among other applications.