Laptop for 340 Biweekly Paycheck: Community for Programming Projects

• Thread starter Rhine720
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laptop
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a laptop that is affordable and suitable for learning, practicing, and creating programs and programming. Some suggestions for a cheap and portable laptop include a Dell in a sale, an Asus EEE PC, or a cheap laptop with an external LCD screen. The conversation also mentions a programming community website, such as projecteuler.net, where people can come together for projects, networking, and learning.
Rhine720
So, recently I've noticed, here I am reading my "first book to c++" When I'm not really busy. However at these times, I'm not at home. So I'm working on grasping concepts while not quite getting practice. So I decided I should buy a laptop. What laptop would be fabulous for a 340 biweekly paycheck (will be 445 with summer hours starting tommorrow) that could be a portable platform for my learning, practice, and creation of programs and programming?

Also, Are there any knit programming communities? I mean, I know we have a forum here, but I mean, a website. Where people come together for projects and network and can learn and aid, and create together.

thanks!

Technology news on Phys.org
ew dell.

Buy an Asus EEE PC. They are portable, cheap, and the 12.1" is an excellent platform on 1 weeks pay.

Programming on netbook is a little frustrating, the small screen is a pain - especially if you are using an ide rather than a commandline and the low memory is limiting.

But the important point is that you don't need a lot of hardware - the cheapest machine you can but today is 100x the most expensive workstation I had in grad school. And brand doesn't matter - at the bottom end they all use pretty much the same cheapest components.
With laptops, one bit of advice is to buy new. They have been getting so cheap, so quickly that even used a 2year old machine would cost more than it's new equivalent AND batteries wear out, so a 2year old battery is almost finished.

Another good option might be a cheap laptop and an external LCD screen? Check that the laptop can drive an external screen at higher res (eg. 1280x1024) In the US you can buy small (17") lcd screens for <$75

1. How much should I budget for a laptop for a 340 biweekly paycheck?

The amount you should budget for a laptop will depend on your individual needs and preferences. However, it is generally recommended to allocate at least 10-15% of your paycheck for a quality laptop. You can also consider purchasing a refurbished or second-hand laptop to save money.

2. What are the minimum specifications I should look for in a laptop for programming projects?

At a minimum, your laptop should have a processor with at least 2 cores, 8GB of RAM, and a solid-state drive (SSD) for faster performance. It should also have a dedicated graphics card and a comfortable keyboard for coding. It is also important to consider the operating system and software compatibility for your programming projects.

3. Is it better to invest in a higher-end laptop or save money with a budget laptop?

This ultimately depends on your needs and budget. If you plan on working on more complex and demanding programming projects, investing in a higher-end laptop with better specs may be worth it. However, if you are just starting out or working on simpler projects, a budget laptop may suffice. Consider your long-term needs and budget before making a decision.

4. Should I consider a specific brand or model for a laptop for programming projects?

There is no specific brand or model that is best for programming projects. It is important to research and read reviews to find a laptop that meets your specific needs and budget. Some popular brands among programmers include Dell, Lenovo, and Apple, but ultimately the best laptop for you will depend on your personal preferences.

5. Can I use a regular laptop for programming projects or do I need a specialized laptop?

You can definitely use a regular laptop for programming projects, as long as it meets the minimum specifications and has a comfortable keyboard for coding. However, there are also specialized laptops designed specifically for programming, such as those with a larger screen and more powerful processors. It ultimately depends on your preferences and budget.