Mechanical engineering graduate transferring to civil engineering

In summary, the speaker has completed a degree in mechanical engineering in 2004 and has been working as a labourer for a friend's civil engineering company. After returning from backpacking, they have been considering retraining and are now interested in studying civil engineering. They are seeking advice from others who have made a similar transition and are curious about the relationship between mechanical and civil engineering, the reality of joining a masters program, and the appropriate level to begin studying. They also have questions about the content of civil engineering courses, including practical applications and the use of mathematics. They mention having more questions but will leave them for future discussions.
gringoman@hot
i completed my mechanical engineering degree in 2004. having spent a while backpacking i returned and have been working for a friends civil engineering company as a labourer. i spent a while thinking about retraining after i got back and am now looking to study civil engineering. I am interested in anyone else who has been in this position and any advice they could give me on which subjects from the mechanical discipline helped most studying civils (applied mechanics was my strongest subject), the reality of joining a masters programme and the most suitable level of programme to begin studying at?
Also info on the civil engineering course content would be great. What kind of practical solutions do you work through? How mathematically based is it?.
I have a lot more questions but ill leave these ones out there and see where we go with them. cheers folks.

Physics news on Phys.org
This may not be too helpful, but I have a friend who is currently doing structural engineering in the civil engineering department at Stanford after doing a bachelor of engineering in mechanical and a couple years of work experience at a mechanical-oriented company, so I think this transition should be pretty easy for you, although I do think some graduate-level civil engineering coursework may be in order.

1. What are the main differences between mechanical engineering and civil engineering?

Mechanical engineering focuses on the design and production of mechanical systems, while civil engineering deals with the design and construction of infrastructure and buildings.

2. Will my mechanical engineering degree be applicable to civil engineering?

While there may be some overlapping concepts, civil engineering involves specific knowledge and skills that may not have been covered in a mechanical engineering program. However, your problem-solving and analytical skills gained from your mechanical engineering degree will be valuable in civil engineering as well.

3. What courses should I take to prepare for a transfer to civil engineering?

It is recommended to take courses in structural analysis, mechanics of materials, and geotechnical engineering to prepare for a transfer to civil engineering. These courses will provide a foundation for understanding the principles and theories used in civil engineering.

4. Will I need to take additional courses to fulfill the requirements for a civil engineering degree?

This will depend on your specific academic background and the requirements of the civil engineering program you are transferring to. It is possible that you may need to take some additional courses to fulfill the specific requirements for a civil engineering degree.

5. What career opportunities are available for someone with a mechanical engineering degree transferring to civil engineering?

Transferring to civil engineering can open up opportunities in fields such as structural engineering, transportation engineering, and environmental engineering. You may also have the opportunity to work in construction management, project management, or consulting for civil engineering projects.