Coulomb's Law and simple harmonic motion

In summary, the problem involves two fixed particles with identical charges +q and a third particle with charge -Q that is free to move. If x is small compared to d, the motion of -Q along the perpendicular bisector of the fixed particles is simple harmonic. The period of this motion can be determined and the speed of -Q when at the midpoint between the fixed particles, initially released at a distance a << d, can also be calculated. The net force on -Q can be found, and by assuming that x is small compared to d, the net force can be simplified to resemble that of a spring.
mickellowery

Homework Statement

Two identical particles, each having a charge of +q are fixed in space and separated by a distance d. A third particle with charge -Q is free to move and lies initially at rest on the perpendicular bisector of the two fixed charges a distance x from the midpoint between the two fixed charges. Show that if x is small compared with d, the motion of -Q is simple harmonic along the perpendicular bisector. Determine the period of that motion. How fast will the charge -Q be moving when it is at the midpoint between the two fixed charges if it is initially released at a distance a << d from the midpoint?

Homework Equations

Fe= ke[tex]\frac{(q_1)(q_2)}{r^2}[/tex]
-kx=max I'm not completely sure if I need this one, but the problem wants me to show that -Q is simple harmonic so I was thinking that I might need to set these equal to each other somehow, but I'm absolutely lost as to where to go.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
mickellowery said:
Fe= ke[tex]\frac{(q_1)(q_2)}{r^2}[/tex]
-kx=max I'm not completely sure if I need this one, but the problem wants me to show that -Q is simple harmonic so I was thinking that I might need to set these equal to each other somehow, but I'm absolutely lost as to where to go.

I believe your interim goal is to show that the net force is proportional to x, for small x. Because if that's the case, the force resembles that of a spring (force being proportional to x).

I suggest first finding the equation for the net force on -Q. (First without making any assumptions.)

Secondly, once you have your net force equation, make the assumption that x is small compared to d. See what happens. :wink:

1. What is Coulomb's Law and how does it relate to electricity and magnetism?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that describes the force between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This law helps to explain the behavior of electric and magnetic fields and their interactions with charged particles.

2. How is Coulomb's Law used to calculate the force between two point charges?

To calculate the force between two point charges, we use the formula F = (k * q1 * q2) / r^2, where F is the force in Newtons, k is the Coulomb's constant (8.99 x 10^9 N*m^2/C^2), q1 and q2 are the charges of the two particles in Coulombs, and r is the distance between the two particles in meters.

3. What is simple harmonic motion and what factors affect it?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which a particle oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point. The motion is characterized by a constant frequency and amplitude. The factors that affect simple harmonic motion include the mass of the object, the spring constant of the restoring force, and the amplitude of the oscillation.

4. How is simple harmonic motion related to Coulomb's Law?

Simple harmonic motion can be observed in systems that follow Coulomb's Law, such as a charged particle oscillating in an electric field. The electric force acting on the particle can be modeled as a spring force, leading to simple harmonic motion.

5. What is the relationship between the period and frequency of simple harmonic motion?

The period (T) of simple harmonic motion is the time it takes for one complete oscillation, while the frequency (f) is the number of oscillations per unit time. The relationship between the two is T = 1/f or f = 1/T. This means that as the frequency increases, the period decreases, and vice versa. This relationship holds true for all systems undergoing simple harmonic motion, including those governed by Coulomb's Law.