Representing sum of cosine and sine as a single cosine expression

In summary, cos(u+v)=cos(u)cos(v)-sin(u)sin(v) and using this identity, the final representation for M and ϕ can be simplified to M = sqrt(a^2 + b^2) and ϕ = arctan(-b/a). Another method to find M and ϕ is by setting t=0 and t=pi/(2w) in the original equation, giving a=M cos(ϕ), b=-M sin(ϕ), a^2+b^2=M^2, and tan(ϕ)=-b/a.
hkBattousai
a.cos(wt) + b.sin(wt) = M.cos(wt + ϕ)

Can you give me M and ϕ in terms of a and b?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
cos(u+v)=cos(u)cos(v)-sin(u)sin(v)

That 's all you need.

The final representation was something like
M = sqrt(a^2 + b^2)
and
ϕ = arctan(-b/a)
but I'm no sure.

Can anyone confirm it for me?

hkBattousai said:
The final representation was something like
M = sqrt(a^2 + b^2)
and
ϕ = arctan(-b/a)
but I'm no sure.

Can anyone confirm it for me?
No.

Try to do it for yourself, and we can correct whatever mistakes you make.

Code:
M.cos(wt + ϕ) = a.cos(wt) + b.sin(wt)

cos(wt + ϕ) = (a/M).cos(wt) + (b/M).sin(wt)...(I)

cos(wt + ϕ) = cos(wt).cos(ϕ) - sin(wt).sin(ϕ)...(II)

From (I) and (II),
cos(ϕ) = (a/M)
sin(ϕ) = -(b/M)

cos^2(ϕ) + sin^2(ϕ) = (a^2 + b^2)/(M^2) = 1

We assume that M is always positive and we keep any negativity in the phase angle ϕ,
M = sqrt(a^2 + b^2)

sin(ϕ)/cos(ϕ) = tan(ϕ) = -(b/M)/(a/M) = -b/a

tan(ϕ) = -b/a   ==>   ϕ = arctan(-b/a)

Is there anything wrong in my derivation?

hkBattousai said:
Code:
M.cos(wt + ϕ) = a.cos(wt) + b.sin(wt)

cos(wt + ϕ) = (a/M).cos(wt) + (b/M).sin(wt)...(I)

cos(wt + ϕ) = cos(wt).cos(ϕ) - sin(wt).sin(ϕ)...(II)

From (I) and (II),
cos(ϕ) = (a/M)
sin(ϕ) = -(b/M)

cos^2(ϕ) + sin^2(ϕ) = (a^2 + b^2)/(M^2) = 1

We assume that M is always positive and we keep any negativity in the phase angle ϕ,
M = sqrt(a^2 + b^2)

sin(ϕ)/cos(ϕ) = tan(ϕ) = -(b/M)/(a/M) = -b/a

tan(ϕ) = -b/a   ==>   ϕ = arctan(-b/a)

Is there anything wrong in my derivation?

No. :smile:

I liked your way of "you must do it yourself if you want to success"... :)

hkBattousai said:
I liked your way of "you must do it yourself if you want to success"... :)

It's true, isn't it? :smile:

Yeah, either I don't like the ones who ask a big problem and wait for others to solve it for him.
In my question, this is a simple trigonometric identity, I expected a mathematician to write it for me since most of math guys have memorized and actively use these kind of identities.

You could also do the following:

t=0 gives a=M cos(ϕ),
t=pi/(2w) gives b=-M sin(ϕ).

Hence

a^2+b^2=M^2,
tan(ϕ)=-b/a.

Landau said:
You could also do the following:

t=0 gives a=M cos(ϕ),
t=pi/(2w) gives b=-M sin(ϕ).

Hence

a^2+b^2=M^2,
tan(ϕ)=-b/a.

Wow, that's super simple, thanks!

1. How can the sum of cosine and sine be represented as a single cosine expression?

The sum of cosine and sine can be represented as a single cosine expression by using the trigonometric identity: cos(x+y) = cos(x)cos(y) - sin(x)sin(y). This allows us to rewrite the sum of cosine and sine as a single cosine function, which simplifies the expression.

2. What is the purpose of representing the sum of cosine and sine as a single cosine expression?

The purpose of representing the sum of cosine and sine as a single cosine expression is to simplify mathematical calculations and make them more efficient. This also allows us to easily identify patterns and relationships between different trigonometric functions.

3. Can the sum of cosine and sine only be represented as a single cosine expression?

No, the sum of cosine and sine can also be represented as a single sine expression by using the trigonometric identity: sin(x+y) = sin(x)cos(y) + cos(x)sin(y). However, representing it as a single cosine expression is often more useful in mathematical calculations.

4. Are there any limitations to representing the sum of cosine and sine as a single cosine expression?

Yes, there are limitations to representing the sum of cosine and sine as a single cosine expression. This method can only be used if the two functions have the same amplitude and frequency. If this is not the case, then the sum cannot be simplified into a single cosine expression.

5. How is the sum of cosine and sine represented in real-life applications?

In real-life applications, the sum of cosine and sine is often represented in terms of amplitude and phase. This allows us to model wave-like phenomena such as sound and electromagnetic waves. In these cases, the sum of cosine and sine is not simplified into a single cosine expression, but rather represented using a combination of trigonometric functions.