Selecting a Motor for a Planetary Centrifugal Mixer: AC, DC, or Universal?

• Thread starter avk.dstl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motor
In summary, the speaker is looking for an electric motor for a planetary centrifugal mixer that will be used for mixing silicon and phosphor. The motor needs to have a high RPM and the speaker is unsure whether to choose an AC, DC, or universal motor. The speaker also needs assistance in calculating the torque required for a high RPM shaft. It is suggested to use a high RPM version of any of the aforementioned motors, with AC motors requiring an inverter which can be more expensive. The needed lifespan of the motor is also a consideration, with universal motors being the cheapest for shorter lifespans. For longer lifespans, DC brushless or AC motors, particularly spindle motors, are recommended. Johnson Electric is mentioned as a company that
avk.dstl
Hello I am new to this forum, I want to select a electric motor for planetary centrifugal mixer which will mix silicon and phosphor. so the necessary requirements is like it should have high rpm. which motor should I select? AC or DC or universal motor? also I want to know how we can calculate the torque required for revolving a shaft at high rpm. can somebody help me out here?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can find all those motors in high RPM versions. For high RPM AC motor you will need to use inverter which makes this option more expensive. What is the needed lifespan of the motor? If it's about 150-1000hours, I think universal motors are the cheapest (the brushless models). Home mixers usually work with universal motors.
if you need more then few hundred hours you can use DC brushless motors or AC motors (search for spindle motors).
Johnson Electric makes some cheap universal motors (http://www.johnsonelectric.com/mediando/index.php?plugin=search_results&search=Motor" )
The needed torque depends on the drag of your impeller. If you know the power of the motor you use the formula P=T*N (P - power,T- torque,N- rpm, mind the units) .

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What factors should I consider when selecting a motor?

When selecting a motor, you should consider factors such as the required power and torque, the desired speed and acceleration, the type of load the motor will be driving, and the required efficiency and reliability.

2. What type of motor is best for my application?

The type of motor that is best for your application depends on the specific requirements and constraints of your project. Some common types of motors include brushed and brushless DC motors, AC induction motors, and stepper motors.

3. How do I determine the power and torque requirements for a motor?

The power and torque requirements for a motor can be determined by considering the mechanical requirements of the load being driven. This includes factors such as the weight and type of load, the required speed and acceleration, and any external forces acting on the load.

4. What is the difference between a geared and ungeared motor?

A geared motor has a gearbox attached to the motor, which allows for a higher torque output and lower speed output. An ungeared motor does not have a gearbox and typically has a higher speed but lower torque output. The choice between geared and ungeared motors depends on the specific requirements of your application.

5. How do I ensure the motor I select will be reliable?

To ensure the reliability of a motor, you should carefully consider the quality and reputation of the manufacturer, the motor's ratings and specifications, and any additional features such as overload protection. It can also be helpful to read reviews or consult with experts in the field.