A flea jumps 140times their height, what is their height?

• Thread starter SilentBlade91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Height
In summary: The largest sin(2θ) value is π/4 which is .693. So the range would be 21.93 cm.Welcome to Physics Forums.The 20.80 cm is the maximum range. The largest that the range could possibly be. To make the range as large as possible, we need sin(2θ) to be as large as possible. What is the largest value that sin(2θ) could have?The largest sin(2θ) value is π/4 which is .693. So the range would be 21.93 cm. In summary, the flea jumps .000745 meters in height.
SilentBlade91

Homework Statement

Part 1. Fleas can jump 140times their own height. They jump so they land a max distance of 20.80cm away. What is their take off speed?

I got this part right already, got 1.43m/s what I really need help with is part 2...

Part 2. What is the flea's height?

Homework Equations

I think y=V0y*t-(1/2)gt^2 might be important but I really don't know

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm clueless. I think I have to find out how high the flea jumps and then divide by 140 but I am stumped. Any help is very appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
If the flea jumped straight upward with the take-off speed you calculated, how high would it go?

Okay so to find the height the flea jumps, I tried using the formula Vf^2=V0^2+2ad using Vf=0 because it would be 0 at the max height jumped. V0=1.43m/s and a would be gravity but would be negative i believe(-9.8m/s^2). So using that I came up with the height jumped (d) being .104332meters.

So I divided that by 140 and got .000745meters. I'm not sure that is right though I had entered it in the homework and its said it was wrong.

Weird, your answer looks okay to me.

SilentBlade91 said:

Homework Statement

Part 1. Fleas can jump 140times their own height. They jump so they land a max distance of 20.80cm away. What is their take off speed?

I got this part right already, got 1.43m/s what I really need help with is part 2...

Part 2. What is the flea's height?

Homework Equations

I think y=V0y*t-(1/2)gt^2 might be important but I really don't know

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm clueless. I think I have to find out how high the flea jumps and then divide by 140 but I am stumped. Any help is very appreciated!

Can anyone explain a formula or get me started in how he found the 1.43m/s for the take off speed...I'm practicing questions and I cannot for the life of me get this answer. Please Help!

Welcome to Physics Forums.

There is an equation that gives the range (horizontal distance traveled) in terms of take-off speed and launch angle. It should be in your textbook or lecture notes -- that's the easiest way to get the speed.

Redbelly98 said:
Welcome to Physics Forums.

There is an equation that gives the range (horizontal distance traveled) in terms of take-off speed and launch angle. It should be in your textbook or lecture notes -- that's the easiest way to get the speed.

thank you...and correct ik the range equation is R= (initial velocity x sin 2theta) / gravity...
where:
R=20.80 cm
initial velocity is what I was looking for
gravity is -9.8 m/s^2
but there was no angle given...unless I am missing something?

*I'm just new here*

Looking for some practice problems, I ended up here. ^^

Now, looking into the solutions, I wonder how did you get the take-off speed. Since the equation used for the second question is the right one, the error might come form the take-off speed you've got.

Welcome to Physics Forums Meric.
JAK3CAL said:
thank you...and correct ik the range equation is R= (initial velocity x sin 2theta) / gravity...
where:
R=20.80 cm
initial velocity is what I was looking for
gravity is -9.8 m/s^2
but there was no angle given...unless I am missing something?
The 20.80 cm is the maximum range. The largest that the range could possibly be.

To make the range as large as possible, we need sin(2θ) to be as large as possible. What is the largest value that sin(2θ) could have?

1. How high can a flea jump?

A flea can jump up to 140 times its own height, which is approximately 0.36 inches (0.9 cm).

2. What makes fleas able to jump so high?

Fleas have powerful legs that are specifically designed for jumping. They contain a protein called resilin, which acts like a spring and allows the flea to catapult itself into the air.

3. Can all fleas jump the same height?

No, the jumping ability of fleas can vary depending on their species and size. On average, most fleas can jump between 60-100 times their height.

4. Are there any other animals that can jump as high as fleas?

Yes, there are other animals with impressive jumping abilities such as grasshoppers, locusts, and kangaroos. Some frogs and insects also have the ability to jump great heights relative to their size.

5. How do scientists measure the height of a flea's jump?

Scientists use high-speed cameras and specialized equipment to measure the height of a flea's jump. They track the movement of the flea and use mathematical formulas to calculate the distance it has traveled.