Intergration of higher powers of trigonometric functions

In summary: And so on, until we get to2n\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\cos^{2n}xdx=\frac{2n-1}{2n}\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\cos^{2n-2}xdxTherefore,
kudoushinichi88
Hello,
What's the easiest way to evaluate an integral like this?

[tex]\int_{\frac{-\pi}{2}}^{0}\cos^{10}x dx[/tex]

The only method I can think of is to expand the [itex]\cos^{10} x[/itex] using trigonometric identities, and getting [itex]\frac{1}{32}\left(1-\cos2x\right)^5[/itex].

I tried subbing [itex]u=1-\cos2x[/itex] but I doesn't seem to work.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ooh, brilliant! Thanks! I was trying to evaluate

[tex]
\frac{\int_{\frac{-\pi}{2}}^{0}\cos^{10}x dx}{\int_{\frac{-\pi}{2}}^{0}\cos^8xdx}
[/tex]

and now I realize that once you expand the top part once, it will cancel off the bottom and I'll get 9/10. XD

In general use a reduction formulae which is derived as follows:
[tex]
\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\cos^{2n}xdx=\left[\sin x\cos^{2n-1}x\right]_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}+(2n-1)\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\cos^{2n-2}x\sin^{2}xdx
[/tex]
The first term is zero and we are left with:
[tex]
(2n-1)\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\cos^{2n-2}x\sin^{2}xdx=(2n-1)\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\cos^{2n-2}x(1-\cos^{2}x)dx
[/tex]
Hence
[tex]
2n\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\cos^{2n}xdx=(2n-1)\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\cos^{2n-2}xdx
[/tex]

What is the purpose of integrating higher powers of trigonometric functions?

The purpose of integrating higher powers of trigonometric functions is to find the area under a curve represented by the function. This is an important skill in calculus and is often used in physics and engineering to solve real-world problems.

What are the common trigonometric functions that are integrated?

The most common trigonometric functions that are integrated are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions are often used to model periodic phenomena and can be integrated to find the area under the curve.

What are the steps for integrating higher powers of trigonometric functions?

The steps for integrating higher powers of trigonometric functions involve using trigonometric identities and substitution to simplify the function, then applying integration techniques such as u-substitution or integration by parts. Finally, the constant of integration is added to the solution.

What is the difference between integrating sine and cosine functions?

The main difference between integrating sine and cosine functions is the presence of an additional constant in the integrated solution. When integrating sine, the constant of integration is added, while when integrating cosine, the constant is subtracted. This is due to the fact that the derivative of sine is cosine, and the derivative of cosine is negative sine.

How do I know if I have integrated a trigonometric function correctly?

You can check if you have integrated a trigonometric function correctly by taking the derivative of your solution and comparing it to the original function. If the derivative matches the original function, then your integration is correct. In addition, you can also use online calculators or tools to check your work.